Autobox problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

white190

Car
190E 2.0 1993 Auto
Hi Peeps

I have a 1993 190E 2.0 Auto

Whilst driving back home today my autobox started acting funny.
When ever I pulled away from standstill the box took 10-20seconds to engage ..

I decided to take a look under the car and I found an fluid leak..
seems to be from the sump gasket....so not to hard to fix ....

BUT

When I took off the gearbox sump this peace of metal was rolling around in the sump loose....

WHAT THE HELL IS IT AND WHERE IS IT SUPPOSED TO GO?????????
the pic's over here

http://www.190revolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4850

it is about 3/4 inch long and ~8mm in diamater with one end larger than the other...

please some one tell me where this goes....

That ???
confused.gif

I haven't a clue, it's a strange shape. Whereabouts are you based? I assume the car is driveable, albeit with problems. If you're anywhere near London I'd give George Fraser a call and ask his advice, there's always Andy Gayle too who's based near Birmingham. If you do a search on either name you should find their contact details.

S.

I'm based in Ipswich (east anglia)

I'f I cant cure it I'll look up the fellas you suggest

thanks

I'm going to repeat a question I asked over on the 190rev forum here.

its a long shot but do any members have a photo of a 190 autobox with the sump and filter off??

for me to compare with mine..???

Looks like a valve to me, look for any broken bits on the valve block. Underneath the filter. May need a new valve block :( It may even be your parking pawl, when it's in park can you push the car forward?

Last edited:
Originally posted by white190
I'm going to repeat a question I asked over on the 190rev forum here.

its a long shot but do any members have a photo of a 190 autobox with the sump and filter off??

for me to compare with mine..???

I just happen to have an old auto box from a 190, will rip the sump off and photo it for you this morning (Sat)

Piccy's as promised, hope they help. BTW never let your oil get like this, now I know why it failed :(

gb1.jpg
gb2.jpg

gb3.jpg
gb4.jpg

gb5.jpg

*edit* if you want full size pics drop me a pm with your e-mail addy

WOW

thanks dude

I Think I now know were it came from

if you look at one of your pics (the bottom most one)

you can see the ends of 2 valves.

the end of the nearest one has a retaining clip in it ........mine no longer has....

so I summise that the bit came from that valve.......but where has the retaining clip gone in my box????......

I'd better have a closer look at the box to see if I can find the clip....I can make one ...but I don't like the idea of metal bits floating around in the gear box..

You have been a great help :D :D

this is the sort of stuff these forums were designed for

Thanks again

oh forgot to say the full size pics would be very helpfull so I've PM'd you

Last edited:
You'll need to find out why It's blown the valve out too as it's probably a build-up of crud in your valve block oil-ways. Make sure you clean the filter before re-fitting, blow it out with an airline or fit a new filter. Sometimes the crud can come from worn bands.

Well

I've fitted the metal bit and the car moves now..but

when I pull away it seems to 'slip' and rev for 4-5seconds then the car shoots foward very suddenly.

also when the car is on an incline in 'D' the car slips backwards.....it never used to.....this affects all the foward gears the reverse gear works like new.

the car is perfecly stable when in 'P'

any ideas what this means ???

Sounds like the valve for clutch pack B2 (i think ) is not operating properly. This clutch holds the outer ring for 1st gear.
In reverse the planet gears are held to give reverse direction.

Sorry can't be more help than that.

What should / does the link that fell out act against?

You have an e-mail

Ian

S320 AUTO (5SPEED) Not electronic

Dieselman said:
Sounds like the valve for clutch pack B2 (i think ) is not operating properly. This clutch holds the outer ring for 1st gear.
In reverse the planet gears are held to give reverse direction.

Sorry can't be more help than that.

What should / does the link that fell out act against?
Hi,
Help please...
My S320 rolls back on incline in "D" and all forward gears.
Reverse gear works perfectly.
Other than roll back car drives very smooth.
Any advise or suggestion will be appreciated.

Rgds

Alan
[email protected]

Hello Dieselman,

I have a 300TE24v and I am getting a problem when engaging the reverse gear. It works fine 1st thing in the morning, but after about 10 minutes driving it just want move on reverse and the whole car start wobbling. Its done 109K and I have just recently had the oil and filter changed for the gearbox. About 4.5 litres of ATF oil has been added.

Do you have any suggestions to cure this problem?

Regards
Jenz

Reverse Gear Slipping

Hi

I have a 300TE24v and about 3 months or so I have noticed that my reverse gear slips. However, it works fine in the morning - yes like you mentioned it has high revs. The problems starts when the temperature reaches above 80 degrees or after 10 minutes of driving - the reverse gear slips. The entire car wobbles but doesn't move and if on a hil it will just roll down it.

I have recently had the gearbox and filter changed about 4 days ago and I am still experiencing the same problem. During this work the oil was drained from the gearbox and about 4.5 litres of ATF oil added from the 5 litres.

Does anyone know what fixes I could try?

Regards
Jenz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom