Autoglass despair, Autoglass disgrace.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
18, months ago I had an Autoglass replacement (copy) windscreen in my S210.
The screen was distorted and the rain sensor didn't operate properly, and (because I waited for three hours in their workshop for the original screen and would have to do so again for the swap-out) I insisted that the replacement screen was an original MB unit to ensure the sensor worked and also avoid wasting any more time.

The new MB screen was fitted, but recently a pebble was flicked up from the road surface (travelling at 20mph) and damaged the screen beyond repair.

I called my insurance company and Autoglass told them about the original (copy) screen problems and was told to get the code numbers from the MB screen, (there are 12 different screens for 210's) call back, and a replacement MB screen would be ordered.

I went back home to get the codes from the screen and called Autoglass who said "We don't need the codes". :crazy: :(

An appointment was made to have the screen fitted at my house and the Autoglass fitter arrived with a copy screen, which I agreed to accept on condition that it would be changed for a MB screen if the distortion/rain sensor problems surfaced again. He commented that the rain senor wasn't securely fixed by whoever fitted the screen last time.
rolleyes.gif

The installation was on Thursday and I didn't wash or move the car until today. There was pieces of broken glass on the bonnet but I rinsed that away. :rolleyes:

I tried the rain sensor which doesn't work at all, so I'll probably get a replacement screen.

Something more puzzling has happened though. The wiper is malfunctioning and will not return to the park position. I'm at a loss as to how this could be caused by having a new screen fitted, though. :confused:

So before I call Gavin, does anyone know what may have caused the wiper operation problem, please?

TIA.

Paul.

Last edited:
The wiper arm would have been removed to gain access to the bottom of the screen. it has probably been refitted incorrectly.

A really good Autoglass technician fitted me a pattern part screen (Pilkington, iirc), and both the job and screen have been perfect.

Yours probably wants the rain sensor refitting as if they don't stick it on tight to the glass it doesn't work.

The wiper arm would have been removed to gain access to the bottom of the screen. it has probably been refitted incorrectly.

A really good Autoglass technician fitted me a pattern part screen (Pilkington, iirc), and both the job and screen have been perfect.

Yours probably wants the rain sensor refitting as if they don't stick it on tight to the glass it doesn't work.

Yes mine was a Pilkington (got a picture somewhere) and was spot on. I haven't even driven in this one yet so I don't know if it distorts or not.
On the last copy screen, I found out about the distortion on the motorway when the white lines to the near side were curved. :crazy: :D

before going back, check the sensor is actually connected.

Re; wiper malfunction.

Where does the blade park on the windscreen?

When you turn the wiper off, at the stalk switch, the blade always stops in the same place on the windscreen, is that correct?

Dec

Auto glass also did some work on Alx,s Kleeman ML, an absolute horrific story, went on for weeks, damage to his car ran into £Ks. (think huis story is posted up somewhere here.
Put me off Auto glass forever.

Had a couple of side windows replaced, and a windscreen crack repaired, by Autoglass, on a range of previous cars.

The side windows were for a European import so no pattern glass available, only original manufacturer's glass imported from the continent - so while it did mean some delay, the glass was always original.

My experience has always been very good with these guys. But I guess that when you have several hundred fitters working for you, the quality of the encounter and customers' satisfaction will always be down to the individual that goes-out to do the job... and some are better than others.

My two experiences of glass fitting on MB cars couldn't be more different.

An Autoglass fitter in Bradford did a front screen on the E430.
Excellent job.
I watched the guy set about it and returned just before he finished.
Couldn't fault anything about the job.
Top Class.
He told me he had done plenty of these W210 screens over the years.
He obviously knew his business and clearly took great care to get it right.

A fitter from RAC windscreens did a rear quarter glass on our type 126.
I insisted that I would remove and replace the door liner in order to avoid damage.
I'm damn glad that I did.
Their fitter didn't inspire any confidence from the word - Go.
I asked him if he'd ever done one of these before and he said No.
:( ... It gets worse ...
After he'd finished the job I drove home to hear a rattling and clonking from the rear door.
He'd lost the screws from a support bar and just left it loose and said nothing.

I fixed it myself, and resolved not to repeat that experience again.
:(:(:(

i have had a w202 windscreen replaced with a none mb one from Pilkington

i have to say 6 months later im not that happy with it and i will be replacing again also

it has chipped very easy very tiny ones and the wiper 's that i have bought never work right on that windscreen

after autoglass had fitted my windscreen my wiper made a funny noise

once they left i took the cover off from under the windscreen and on the w202 the motor has a white plastic clip or guide that was not screwed at all i adjusted it and it worked ok since

this in ireland and it looks like auto glass may be the same here also

Aren't Pilkington MB's biggest OEM glass supplier?

Pilkington and Shatterproof/Armourglass.

But when buying OE equipment from same manufacturer but not through the car maker's official distribution channel, there is always the possibility that the parts made for the car maker are made to different / higher spec than standard... as is the official claim regarding MO tyres. There is no easy way to verify this, as both OE and car manufacturers are deliberately vague about it. So maybe the non-MB pilkington glass is the same as the MB-branded one, maybe it isn't.... the only way to be sure is by paying the premium for having the MB logo on the windscreen.

Recently had front screen replaced on a Volvo XC90-autoglass did a great job-glass is pilkington:thumb:

had my 211 front windscreen replaced by auto glass; they put in a pilkington... perfect job the fitter really knew what he was doing...

Had my 201 front windscreen replaced recently by Autoglass; they put in a Pilkington... perfect job; the fitter really knew what he was doing...

.......unlike the last one, who after an hour of trying, knocked on my door to say "sorry, can't fit this. Can't get the windscreen wiper mechanism out". Once I'd shown him the trick of undoing four 8mm bolts and pulling the firewall back an inch, he was OK. Screen in no problem, gave me the chance to clean out under the roof strips (20 years of crud build up) and put everything back like a good 'un. Young lad who admitted it was his first time with a W201.

No complaints really.

I dont think it will be the screen thats a problem, it will be the placement of the sensor.

On my last car I insisted that the insurance company let me use my local BMW dealer to replace a screen so that things like the sensors would not get messed up.

BIG MISTAKE

Dealers don't normally fit windscreens so you can guess I was somewhat annoyed when things like the rain sensors etc were never the same again.

They had the car back several times but the rain sensing wipers and auto headlamps were never as good as they used to be.

Speaking with an AG guy who came out to fix a chip who appeared to know what he was talking about his suggestion was that I should insist on a genuine screen fitted by autoglass (they can easily order in these things but it might take a couple of days). Then you get the right part fitted by somebody who fits dozens of screens every day.

I can see the logic.

Autoglass have fitted 4 windscreens in the 15 years of combined ownership of both my 202's, they have always fitted a Splintex screen and I have never had any reason to complain, with the exception of the first one where the the roof rails needed new clips, these took nearly a week (over a weekend) to be fitted but they probably took 3-4 days to come in from the dealer.
I have no complaints at all, indeed the fitters were always very competent, polite and very knowledgable, even clearing the windscreen/heater drains at the front of the car for me everytime, without being asked too.

I called Autoglass yesterday afternoon to report the faults and was told they would call me back shortly. I'm still awaiting their call.
They also failed to return my call when I initially enquired about having the screen replaced. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom