Autoglass or RAC auto windscreens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zishan03

Car
C200 Sports Coupe
My windscreen has got about a 4 inch crack in it after a stone hit it so I am pretty sure they wont be able to fix it but Privledge has given me the choice of going with either Autoglass or RAC windscreens.

My past experience with Autoglass is that they didnt put enough sealant at the bottom of the glass last time my window was replaced but they did fix it without any hassle. But if anyone can strongly recommend one or the other it would be a great help.

Thanking You

Zishan

I got my C200 screen replaced by the RAC (who now own Auto Windscreens) in January, they seemed to do a good job and I've had no problems since.

Its all down to the individual fitter and how competent he is...

First hurdle to get over is to make sure that it is MB OEM Glass for your trim line/model...:eek:

You can go to any company you like provided the cost is comparable. I used a company called Old School Windscreens - the glass was ordered from germany and fitting / service was exceptional.

Autoglass guarantee their work for the lifetime of the vehicle, which would be a factor for me. I've just had to have the windscreen replaced on my VW because it started letting water in 2 years after fitting. Because the company the dealership used (it was a warranty repair) only gave a 12 month guarantee, I nearly had to pay for this.

Last edited:
Flash said:
Its all down to the individual fitter and how competent he is...

First hurdle to get over is to make sure that it is MB OEM Glass for your trim line/model...:eek:

Last time I had my window changed they said it was OEM and asked if I had the rain sensor or not, just a quick question......after you have the window with the rain sensor on it, what else is involved in retrofitting rain sensing wipers?

Thanks

stats007 said:
You can go to any company you like provided the cost is comparable. I used a company called Old School Windscreens - the glass was ordered from germany and fitting / service was exceptional.

I have also dealt with that company, they replaced front and rear screens on my 560 SEC, as Stats said service was exceptional. They also tinted my SClass with the security film.

C43AMG said:
I have also dealt with that company, they replaced front and rear screens on my 560 SEC, as Stats said service was exceptional. They also tinted my SClass with the security film.

Hi,

Was it the "SupaGlass" film that pentagon use...?

I was given the same choice by my insurance company stating that if I used either of the two I would only have to pay the £50 excess.

When I explained that the vehicle had rain sensitive wipers and that I wanted MB to carry out the replacement I was told that I would only be covered up to £150.

Went into the dealers and they said that they had an agreement with RAC who fitted all their windscreens anyway. They phoned RAC who agreed to do it on the dealers premises, and the dealer agreed to recalibrate the wipers when the job was done.

Total cost to me £50, and a good job done.

Flash said:
Hi,

Was it the "SupaGlass" film that pentagon use...?

Yes it is, sorry for the delay.

Well I had my screen changed last week by Autoglass and some of the glue oozed inside when he stuck the windscreen down. The problem is that some of the glue is now stuck on the a-pillar inside the car (nearest to the window). I called their customer service about this and they said it should come off and they are coming back on wednesday to come and take it off. For some reason I doubt it will come off as the material of the a-pillar is like the headliner so I would think it would have soaked in somewhat. Its not absolutely noticable but because its my car I notice it everytime, what do you guys think I should do on this?

Thanks in advance.

Zishan (wishing he'd gone with RAC.......lol)

I had exactly the same thing with autoglass. They agreed to replace the A pillar trims and then despite my protestations, never turned up with them.

I pestered them for two years and in the end they claimed they didnt know anything about the whole affair. I gave up in the end.

zishan03 said:
Last time I had my window changed they said it was OEM and asked if I had the rain sensor or not, just a quick question......after you have the window with the rain sensor on it, what else is involved in retrofitting rain sensing wipers?

Thanks

Add the sensor, plug it into the overhead control panel (ocp) (up there with the light) and you may need someone to code the ocp to tell it there is a sensor.
R

I used autoglass because they were happy to order the screen from a MB dealer, (it was a very new CLK55 W208) - and continue to try when MB delivered a duff windscreen that was meant to have the rainsensor bracket but it was missing (correct part nr, bad screen!)

- in the past they have been happy to install the heated windscreen in a Ford I once had instead of the normal one as-well - I then added the wiring, relay and button !

I have no experience with RAC though

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom