Autoglass Replacemnt Glass /Car Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpskiller

Car
Wifes
couple of weeks ago had lent out the 190,whilst on loan it was covered by fully comp insurance by the the person who borrowed it.

the rear window and rear passenger side window got smashed by youths which was replaced with mercedes glass by AUTOGLASS, I checked the car on the night of the incident only damage was the windows, I wasent there when glass was fitted, but have checked car since and have noticed that on the rear passenger pillor the is a chunk of laqueur about size of a hand missing, looks like tape used to hold glass has ripped it off, have also noticed that the door card apart from not being re-fitted correctly has a chuck knocked out of the wood around the handle.

the paper work from the fitters does not mention any damage to car other than scratches and slight scratch on rear leather from glass ,and no mention of damage to door card.

when spoke to them on phone the manager was very snotty and said hispaper work mentions door card damage, now mine is a carbon copy which dosent.

I have arranged to take car to them tomorrow what response should I expect against these damages.

Last edited:
Well if you have the copy paperwork then you should be Ok for the door trim but one question, who removed the tape?

Did your friend not inspect the car after the glass was done?

They should pay for the repairs but I'm sure you will have to be very snotty with them.

Well if you have the copy paperwork then you should be Ok for the door trim but one question, who removed the tape?

Did your friend not inspect the car after the glass was done?

They should pay for the repairs but I'm sure you will have to be very snotty with them.

glass fitters removed tape, and people car loaned too are not the brightest, thought it was tape residue duh!

Wont be loaning it out again, how on earth do you repare laqueur missing?

glass fitters removed tape, and people car loaned too are not the brightest, thought it was tape residue duh!

Wont be loaning it out again, how on earth do you repare laqueur missing?

Snad the sharp edge, wipe with a tack rag, then spray more lacquer on.

So if the fitter removed the tape then you should have a clear claim.

Possible result, they have admitted there workman have damaged the car and have asked me to get quote's for the paintwork repair and they are going to try and source the door card and wood (good luck) I'll give them a week then give them quotes from Mercedes and EPC for door card / wood, could get interesting, as far as I am concerned door card / wood should be replaced like for like as with the glass. but being a ciceley, I cant see them being able to match the wood without getting a full new kit.

Well at least they have admitted liability, well done.

KLP had some wood refinished on his SEC, might be worth getting a quote from his supplier.

Any wood damage will have to be stripped back to bare wood, many firms advertise this service in the vintage world, you will have to ask for a finish to match what is on the car, otherwise it will come back too glossy.

Some of the older paints are still available for this type of paint damage, very hard though as it was water based base coat and 2K on top, not easy products to blend, this was from around 86-87 onwards

update on damage

still waiting for autoglass to source parts:(

also got a letter this morn from the boys in blue

the offender has now been identified and,after due consideration of their previous history and other relevant factors,it has been decided that the most appropriate course of action is to record this crime as "taken into consideration"

what exactly does this mean? (please exscuse my being a bit thick)
but i thought if they admitted it they would be charged

Last edited:
It's a cop-out. What happens is you go to court for one offence, plead guilty, request for 50000 other incident to be taken into consideration, they just disappear and you get a nice light sentence for an early guilty and can't be tried for the TICs again.

woo hoo we have a result:bannana:

all being well the damage to car will be repaired/replaced on thursday and friday :D :D

lets just hope they dont cause anymore:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom