Autoglass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
I had a rather nasty crack at the top of my SL. Phoned Ins Co and was answered by Autoglass. Made an appointment, paid them the £70 x/s and left the car with them. Picked it up four hours later, job done, proper glass, proper tint, proper rain sensor. All the "bits" on the screen, tom tom, tax disc, laser detector etc all back exactly they started.

All in all a painless experience and a good performance. I've never used them before but have heard several horror stories about Autoglass, so I must admit to being a little aprehensive. Credit where credit is due, they did a very good job:thumb:

Totally dependent on the skill/care of technician/s who did the job. Someone else benefiting from the same technician/s at the same Autoglass outlet would likely get a similar result but there is no way to extrapolate from that particular situation to all Autoglass outlets just as its pointless to condemn all outlets out of hand I guess.:dk: Glad you got a decent result:thumb:

My experience with Autoglass was also excellent, so maybe they are training their fitters to be careful.

Had a screen fitted myself 3 weeks back.

Guy was spot on in his attention to detail.

Had to tell him to 'turn it in mate' when he started to polish the dash area when he'd finished!

I had places to be! :rolleyes:

Having a screen fitted to my Vito tomorrow. I hope they polish my dash because it's filthy!

Well no complaints about the fitter.
Pity they signed the job as a normal windscreen and not one with a blue sunstrip on it.
Had him fit it anyway as it was a nightmare organising where the my Vito would be today. Couldn't be bothered organising it all over again!

Had a stone chip on front windscreen
They insisted the tinted strip is green. My friends & I said it is blue
Took the car to their depot. They said it is green. Then had a phone call from Manager
He said one of our guys said green. the other said blue. "We cannot get hold of blue, the best match is green- the grey won't look well"
Is the green cheaper - any help appreciated

Been there pawnie, got a new screen fitted on my previous C180 that had a blue sunstrip instead of the grey one I ordered, also the guy broke two of the clips for the plastic trim that runs from the roof, down the side of the windscreen. Didn't notice until I took it for a drive and it sprung up and flapped about!
Reluctant to call them to replace the screen in the current car, but it is in dire need of changing.
Do all insurance companies use autoglass?

Tell them to get hold of Blue if blue is correct - from Mercedes if needs be.

Why should you compromise because of their stock levels?

Been there pawnie, got a new screen fitted on my previous C180 that had a blue sunstrip instead of the grey one I ordered, also the guy broke two of the clips for the plastic trim that runs from the roof, down the side of the windscreen. Didn't notice until I took it for a drive and it sprung up and flapped about!
Reluctant to call them to replace the screen in the current car, but it is in dire need of changing.
Do all insurance companies use autoglass?

The fitter fitted all new clips on mine. You can use other fitters but my insurance company
small print says if you use a different firm it costs more excess! Scandalous me thinks. They must pay insurance companies huge bungs!

I had need of a windscreen that wasnt covered by insurance, so rang round for quotes, Autoglass wanted more than DOUBLE ! No wonder car ins is dear.

I have Autowindscreens coming to replace the screen on my Smart car tomorrow.

I'm not taking any chances of damaged trim (a legacy fear from the last window replacement I had) so I will be removing all the trim around the inside as well as all the exterior trim before he arrives.

A nice easy job for him and because the trim will be left to me, I'll be able to check his work before I put it all back together again after.

I did a dry run on the weekend so now know exactly how to get the trim on and off fast.

I have Autowindscreens coming to replace the screen on my Smart car tomorrow.

I'm not taking any chances of damaged trim (a legacy fear from the last window replacement I had) so I will be removing all the trim around the inside as well as all the exterior trim before he arrives.

A nice easy job for him and because the trim will be left to me, I'll be able to check his work before I put it all back together again after.

I did a dry run on the weekend so now know exactly how to get the trim on and off fast.

That's the way !

Had my windscreen replaced today by Autoglass, no issues at all.

As has already been mentioned they called me to confirm car details and then cross checked with MB to ensure they had the correct screen.

Trim etc looks fine and as has been mentioned in another thread, the only difference is the overlapped seal at the top of the screen as opposed to the one piece original seal.

Jules

I was nearly pleased

Had a stone chip on front windscreen
They insisted the tinted strip is green. My friends & I said it is blue
Took the car to their depot. They said it is green. Then had a phone call from Manager
He said one of our guys said green. the other said blue. "We cannot get hold of blue, the best match is green- the grey won't look well"
Is the green cheaper - any help appreciated

It appears the blue tinted one is no longer manufacturered
So I opted for the grey tint (Green looked UGG even the fitted said that)
Then the friendly fitter said "scuff marks on the front wing- its only wear and tear -have to put that down as damage before works starts"
After the screen was fitted -looked great-better than thew blue one
After he left I washed the car AND the scuff marks disappeared - They were
mud.
Makes me think -Do the Autoglass staff need to visit an Optician

My screen wasn't just missing the blue strip but the whole screen has no tint, so going to phone them and complain. Will head for getting excess back but if they aren't up for that they will have to replace the screen.

Im having my SL60 screen done soon. National windscreens have ordered me a genuine dealer part so awaiting call on when we get it.

Ill report back.

Normally I use a local company called screensaver; whom ive trusted such difficult jobs such as my widebody rear screen, SEL rear screen, W124 screens...
However my classic insurance company will only let me use their approved company (unless I pay more excess)

Wife got 2 large cracks in hers from pothole debris in Feb. She took it in to Autoglass without knowing that was who our insurers use, they checked her policy (actually they phoned the number on her paperwork and it was their call-centre it went to ;-), and then proceeded to check everything.

They ordered screen, and were going to attempt repairs but if not possible, replace. They had a go at repair but it wasn't good enough so new screen it was.

They came to the house to do it - he was here at 7.45am - first job - slight mist in the air, but he has done a brilliant job. Old screen out, new one in, cleaned, every bit of trim cleaned, and sadly he didn't have new wipers of the right size with him, nor did they have them at ECP so dealer prices it was) - a really impressive job. Not a genuine screen, but bizarrely it seems to "fit" the profile of the car better, and it's lost the annoying wiper lift due to wind as well.

Impressed. Had never had to have a windscreen before, just a couple of big chips repaired, and it was totally painless. All stuff was put back, and it has a lifetime guarantee against defects...

D.

I might bite the bullet with them. I have a little crack that isnt repairable but have been putting off getting it fixed as I, very wary of Autoglass and have read too many bad tales. It is reassuring to hear that things are looking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom