Autoglass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
First the question: Are autoglass good at their trade? More specifically the Bristol branch.

Second question: Do they use genuine MB Branded Glass or is own make. I did ask but got a vague response that it was not recycled and manufactured to MB specifications.

Reason is that I discovered a 4.5 inch crack just behind the rearview mirror and I will get it replaced from them. Direct Line will pay, I just have to pay the excess. Maybe is all for the good as it was delaminating anyway.

Last edited:
Ask for a MB one only and they should supply one.

Autoglass done mine twice, pilkington branded (I think) and perfect fit and finish, both times though had problems with the rain sensor not working afterwards - first time not reconnected, second time sorted itself out after a couple of days. If you want an original screen some insurers will pay for it if no alternative in stock, others will settle for paying the autoglass price and you may find your main dealer isn't much different.

Autoglass fitted a new screen for me 6months ago. Did a good job. I asked for a genuine MB screen but when the fitter turned up the screen did not have the MB logo on it.

He did offer to return in a few days with another screen but convinced me that the logo was the only difference since all the screens are made by the same manufacturer. I had a close look at the screen and could not see any difference from the broken one so let him fit it. No problems at all.

I might add that the previous screen had undergone 3 chip repairs and finally a 3" crack in just three years. The replacement already has a minor chip and no doubt willl need replaced again. Seems to be a common issue on both C and E class screens.

Thanks guys. I sounds like they will not going to be able to do it this Friday (it is booked) but as forecast is heavy rain. I will keep my fingers crossed though.

Damn British Summer!!!

We had damage to my wife's VW and called VW. They said they use autoglass themselves so the screens would be exactly the same and would be 'branded' with the logo. I think autoglass have stopped using cheaper windows or copies as they didn't meet the insurance company standards.

they used mb glass on mine but broke the door card replacing drivers rear window and took the laquer of round the back window would never use them again:mad:
this was preston branch tho

I have used most of these companies and never had an issue... Autoglass replaced my SEC rear screen and they did a good job.

Most OEM glass is pilkington so if you demand original part, you are only getting a logo in the corner... its exactly the same item.

can places like autoglass fix scratches, as opposed to chips? I've got some deep looking scratches on my screen which are a bit off putting

We use National Mobile Windscreens from Bath, always short staffed but superb!

Kate

Well it is booked for tomorrow and I can only hope it will go OK. This week turned out to be expensive as I found a bulge in the inside of the front right tyre so I had to have it replaced. The other one was almost worn so £191 for both (inc fitting). Tyres has gone up in price a lot recently (Mind they are Mitchelin Primacy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom