Autolights on a W209 CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Hi all, 

An annoyance on my 2008 CLK Cabrio (W209).... 

The auto headlights seem to have become a bit random. They always come on automatically (and stay on) at night. No issue there, so the sensor basically is OK.  

In the day time they are a bit more sporadic! 

During the day, they kind of work OK, but they seem to be a bit random switching on and off. On a dull / overcast day they are a bit like a disco. On > Off > On with not much obvious trigger. 

I had a new windscreen fitted last year and I swear this was the trigger for them becoming more random. Note that the rain sensing wipers work fine and they are all part of the same sensor unit I think. 

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the auto-light sensor? 

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm not minded to replace anything TBH since the car is "Sunday use only" and quite frankly, it really doesn't matter that much if they don't work quite as they should do. I can always switch them on manually and disregard the auto function if it bothers me. For the 3,000 miles I do a year, mainly in the sun, during the day, that isn't too much of an issue. But I did just wonder if there was an easy fix which would re-calibrate them somehow.

Hi, same issue on my 2006 GL after screen change. I think they just don’t get as good a bond with the sensor on the screen and the light transmission is less consistent triggering the automatic functions.

Interesting! Thanks. Googling it does seem to suggest it is a common issue when the screen is replaced. I might ask when it is next serviced if something can be tweaked for minimal £££! It’s going on for annual service next month so I will report back! Thanks!

I don’t use it, they come on far too soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom