Automatic gearbox fluid change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alphagemini

Car
Mercedes C200
My C200 is due a 40k B service. I am told that the auto gearbox fluid should be changed. I am also
told that some gearboxes need the change at 40k and others at 100k

Is this correct and how can you know which box is fitted to the car?

Thanks for any help

I change every 37500 miles. Approximately £200 with a good Indi.

A complete Transmission fluid change ( inc. Torque Converter + cooling Radiator ) for £200. is very good value.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about transmission fluid change. I have been told by one company that the control unit should be reprogrammed after the fluid is replaced. My local MB in Ashford tell me that it is not necessary. What is the truth?

There seems to be a lot of confusion about transmission fluid change. I have been told by one company that the control unit should be reprogrammed after the fluid is replaced. My local MB in Ashford tell me that it is not necessary. What is the truth?
What year is the car ? It's really just an 'oil' and filter change , no need to 're programme' anything. As said here by others a 'FULL' change will be about 8/9 litres which will ensure the torque converter and cooling is drained and may cost a little more than just a 'quick' (5 litre or so) change.

The first method of 'FULL' ATF fluid and filter change is the way to go. The internet (and this forum) is full of advice on changing ATF in a 722.X gearbox.

Funnily enough, I've just had a full ATF and filter change on my C220, done by Mastertech (or MTA Network Ltd, as they're now called) in Woodchurch, it included the TC as well as the box, and making sure the ATF was at the correct temperature so the correct amount of ATF was used. It cost £300+VAT. About 6-7 years ago I had the S203 done by Class Cars (as they then were) in Wingham, they just did the gearbox (4L of ATF) and it cost about £150.

I remember not noticing much difference when the S203 was done (at about 70k miles), whereas I immediately noticed the difference with the S204 (at 102k miles). Throttle response from stationary is now almost immediate instead of the previous 1/2 second delay, car feels more responsive to the throttle and more lively.

So although your car is a W/S/C203 (saloon/estate/coupe), it has the same 5 speed autobox as my pre-facelift S204.

So although your car is a W/S/C203 (saloon/estate/coupe), it has the same 5 speed autobox as my pre-facelift S204.

so do they reprogram the cpu? The following is text sent to me

In an automatic box the fluid is used to run the gearbox as well as lubricate it, for example the gearbox ECU will activate a solenoid and creates hydraulic pressure with the gearbox fluid

to select the next gear band, it's more or a hydraulic setup rather than "engine oil lubrication", as the gearbox oil degrades the oil picks up contaminants, burns etc... this slows the gearchange process down

and the gearbox ECU adapts over time as the fluid "ages", the gearbox ECU does not know when the old oil has been changed for fresh, so all the "adaptations" needs to be reprogrammed to zero

otherwise it tries to run based on the old worn gearbox and new oil with old programming/adaptations can make extremely hard gear changes, slipping torque converter etc.

Regards,

This sounds like good sense, no?

Why don't you give Ben at MTA a phone call?? My car, not having had an ATF change in its first 102k miles, now changes very smoothly (it was previously pretty smooth anyway) and there's no feeling of hard changes and torque convertor slip. I have no idea whether he did any re-programming, he's probably got the gear to do it if needed!

Why don't you give Ben at MTA a phone call?? My car, not having had an ATF change in its first 102k miles, now changes very smoothly (it was previously pretty smooth anyway) and there's no feeling of hard changes and torque convertor slip. I have no idea whether he did any re-programming, he's probably got the gear to do it if needed!

The quote above is his comment

Which based on my experience after he did the full ATF change last Wednesday/Thursday shows he knows what he's doing and has done all that is required! I can't at the moment document this as Ben had a filthy chest infection last week so is a bit behind on the paperwork - I have not yet received the detailed invoice for the work he did, I've recently also had a filthy chest infection (bad news for me with COPD, antibiotics and steroids required!) so am cutting him a bit of slack on that!

MTA is probably talking about transmission adaptation reset which can be done using STAR.

MTA is probably talking about transmission adaptation reset which can be done using STAR.

You may be correct, as I know he has Star, amongst other German car diagnostics! I remember him saying that Star is the last one he goes for (even for an MB like mine) as it's so slow and he can normally get the required info quicker with something else!

My C200 is due a 40k B service. I am told that the auto gearbox fluid should be changed. I am also
told that some gearboxes need the change at 40k and others at 100k

My guess is the 100k is a misquoted KM interval.

As per Mercedes ESS:

7g+
Service 20 - Once at 77,500 miles/5 years (actual interval is 125,000kms /1.6 = miles but rounded down by MB)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (With transmission 722.9 - NAG2-FE+)

7g
Service 20 - Once 37,500 miles (actual interval is 60,000kms /1.6 = miles)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.9)

5g
Service 20 - Once 37,500 miles (actual interval is 60,000kms /1.6 = miles)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.6)

What year is the car ? It's really just an 'oil' and filter change , no need to 're programme' anything. As said here by others a 'FULL' change will be about 8/9 litres which will ensure the torque converter and cooling is drained and may cost a little more than just a 'quick' (5 litre or so) change.

The first method of 'FULL' ATF fluid and filter change is the way to go. The internet (and this forum) is full of advice on changing ATF in a 722.X gearbox.

Is the ATF change procedure the same in both the 722.6 and the 722.9 transmissions?

Ref the 5G box in the 204- I had a massive row with the Service Manager at MB Ashford when I bought my S204 in March 2012. They had supplied the car new and serviced it, I was buying it as secomd owner Used Approved from them and noted that the owners manual specified an ATF change at 37.5k miles (car had 60k when I bought it) and no record of the ATF being changed. Service manager was adamant that the box was sealed for live (like the 5 speed box on my S203) and if I wanted the ATF changed I would have to pay for it. I declined. Subsequently found MTA, Ben advised that it was wise to change it at 100k miles, which I've just done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom