Automatic gearbox noise/squeak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cammerz

Car
BMW 120d
I have a 2018 C300 with the 9 speed automatic gearbox. It has about 20000 miles on it and I've only owned it for just over 2 months. Over the past week I've noticed when in sport mode I can hear a squeak when changing gear, more so down shifting. I couldn't hear it at all in comfort mode but going back to sport mode again it appears instantly. It is only during the gear change and almost sounds like a squeaky bushing. Any ideas?

Any ideas? I took it to Mercedes today, they had it all day and said a software update sorted it. As soon as I drove away I could hear it again so turned round and went back to tell them. It's booked back in next week but I have little confidence in them.

For anyone's interest, Mercedes have diagnosed the noise is coming from a calliper and the dealership was advised to apply new coats of paint to the calliper which should resolve the issue.

For anyone's interest, Mercedes have diagnosed the noise is coming from a calliper and the dealership was advised to apply new coats of paint to the calliper which should resolve the issue.
Painting a brake caliper will prevent squeaking?

How exactly?

Painting a brake caliper will prevent squeaking?

How exactly?
Hey, I’m not sure either haha he didn’t specifically say brake calliper just calliper, but apparently it is something Mercedes have experienced before and this was their advice so we’ll just see how it goes if it works.

Another update for anyone who is still interested. As expected the coating of enamel on some calliper they mentioned did not fix the issue. It’s gone in for the 7th time and their “master technician” has diagnosed it as an issue with the exhaust flap. They’ve sent me a video from under the car when forcing the flap to open and close and it is the noise I’m hearing. Also makes more sense that I’m hearing it when the car has warmed up, shifting gear in sport mode, and when I turn the engine off. Solution is a new exhaust section with flap

Another update for anyone who is still interested. As expected the coating of enamel on some calliper they mentioned did not fix the issue. It’s gone in for the 7th time and their “master technician” has diagnosed it as an issue with the exhaust flap. They’ve sent me a video from under the car when forcing the flap to open and close and it is the noise I’m hearing. Also makes more sense that I’m hearing it when the car has warmed up, shifting gear in sport mode, and when I turn the engine off. Solution is a new exhaust section with flap
Jesus buddy , I hope you aren’t having to pay for all these guesses at what could be wrong

Jesus buddy , I hope you aren’t having to pay for all these guesses at what could be wrong
Only in my own fuel to get to the dealership and my time. But this time I told them I wasn’t pleased and they came to collect my car and give me GLB as a loan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom