Automatic gearbox problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woodsy2021

Car
Mercedes w245
Bought a 2010 B Class CDI 180 2.0 Litre, I've had it 2 days and twice already whilst I'm driving it won't change up a gear, I have to turn engine and ignition off and start it again to work. There is no error messages on dash or warning lights??

Does the gearbox have a dipstick?

If so check the ATF level as per the handbook.

Does the gearbox have a dipstick?

If so check the ATF level as per the handbook.

Assuming you've bought private and therefore can't just get the trader/dealer to sort it, I was just about to say the same thing.
How many miles and is there clear evidence of the most recent transmission fluid change? If there is no definite proof (i.e. MB electronic service record or a receipt with the vehicle reg No. on it) or it was more than 50k miles or 5 years ago, then I'd be looking at a change straight away.

As above, plus this being a CVT (continuous variable transmission) the "gears" are virtual - are you expecting to feel the actual gear change?

Welcome aboard,If you bought it from a garage take it back.i got

Assuming you've bought private and therefore can't just get the trader/dealer to sort it, I was just about to say the same thing.
How many miles and is there clear evidence of the most recent transmission fluid change? If there is no definite proof (i.e. MB electronic service record or a receipt with the vehicle reg No. on it) or it was more than 50k miles or 5 years ago, then I'd be looking at a change straight away.
I haven't had a chance to check level yet as garage's shut on a Sunday. Hoping to get it checked tomorrow but under warrenty conditions as got my own warrenty

As above, plus this being a CVT (continuous variable transmission) the "gears" are virtual - are you expecting to feel the actual gear change?
I put my foot on acceleration pedel and the car just revs around the counter

I put my foot on acceleration pedel and the car just revs around the counter
Hey @Woodsy2021, if as GLK said that your car has a CVT gearbox, then I guess this is expected behaviour of the gearbox as its has 1 gear so as you accelerate the revs will remain at whichever rpm its at and the cvt gearbox chains will tighten like similar to bicycles.

Reactions: GLK
I'd get the AFT changed / gearbox serviced regardless of the service records, at a trusted indie, experienced with these cars - not long ago I read on a different forum the chap's car was ruined, because the garage used a standard ATF - get a Mercedes spec one yourself if you want to be 100% sure. And pick a spotless garage - the CVT is very sensitive to even minute amounts of dirt, etc during the process.

(pictures pinched from that other forum)
ATF 28-CVT front.jpg

ATF 28-CVT back.jpg

I'd get the AFT changed / gearbox serviced regardless of the service records, at a trusted indie, experienced with these cars - not long ago I read on a different forum the chap's car was ruined, because the garage used a standard ATF - get a Mercedes spec one yourself if you want to be 100% sure. And pick a spotless garage - the CVT is very sensitive to even minute amounts of dirt, etc during the process.

(pictures pinched from that other forum)
View attachment 108255

View attachment 108256
Thankyou will be booking it into a garage tomorrow wherever my warranty instruct me to

Reactions: GLK
(E280 2008) I've had a very similar experience this weekend, Its happened twice - After an hours faultless drive up the motorway in cruise control at (ahem 75), after I came off the motorway into town it was almost like the 'clutch' was slipping in both Reverse and Drive. so much so that I had to pull in and turn it off. I waited a few minutes started the engine and put it into gear and hey presto off she went. I'm a little perplexed as to what could cause this behaviour. An ATF change is definitely on the cards but has anyone else had this problem and got any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom