Automatic Headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigDoug

Car
E320
Car is a 2005 E320 CDi, W211. Today, the automatic headlights came on when the car was started, despite bright sunlight. They have remained on all day. Ambient light has been excellent all day, but it’s been very cold. Also, the Command screen has been in dimmed, (night-time) mode.
Does anyone have any idea why this might be and what I can do about it ? (There are no lights that aren’t working.)
Presumably, there is a light sensor somewhere which tells the car that it’s dark enough for the lights to be turned on automatically. Does anyone know where that sensor is located ?
Doug

Deleted

I thought that black dome on the bonnet grill was the sun sensor for the climate control? The dome is fitted irrespective of the sensor being fitted.

The light sensor for the headlamps is on the windscreen behind the RVM. There is a separate ambient light sensor for the interior cabin lights.

In both my MBs I noticed the auto lights came on during this time of low level sunlight.

I thought that black dome on the bonnet grill was the sun sensor for the climate control? The dome is fitted irrespective of the sensor being fitted.

The light sensor for the headlamps is on the windscreen behind the RVM. There is a separate ambient light sensor for the interior cabin lights.

In both my MBs I noticed the auto lights came on during this time of low level sunlight.
Thanks for the prompt response. Perhaps I should just wait and see what tomorrow brings, with it’s different ambient conditions.

It's normal, my 2005 CLK has always done this in winter time.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom