Automatic Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NDFR

SUPPORTER
Car
C320 CDI
Cant see the fog. They move amongst us.

Sigh...

It's odd as by contrast, it seems that people have automatic fog lights which come on during a perfectly clear day too!

Not a feature I've ever had on a car.

Very true

I've got ILS but during the fog the rear fog light didn't come on, it was fairly dense, so was wondering how dense it actually has to be to come on automatically?

I've got ILS but during the fog the rear fog light didn't come on, it was fairly dense, so was wondering how dense it actually has to be to come on automatically?

It doesn't, was a joke above. Days after there's been fog people still driving around with fog lights on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know about intelligent systems. For the standard Auto light setting, the owners manual makes it very clear that there will be circumstances like fog when the light switch will have to be overridden to maintain safety.

Yes and the drive home tonight in heavy rain found about 8 drivers with fog lights on in the rain,I suppose they were a very small percentage in the hundreds of cars I encountered ,I always wonder if those eight have ever stopped to think why the rest of us do not put our fog lights on in the rain.

I only put mine on when I'm struggling to see the car in front. - I figure that if I don't need their light to see them, then I don't need mine on for other drivers to see me.

Yes and the drive home tonight in heavy rain found about 8 drivers with fog lights on in the rain,I suppose they were a very small percentage in the hundreds of cars I encountered ,I always wonder if those eight have ever stopped to think why the rest of us do not put our fog lights on in the rain.

The lights are there for any conditions that severely limit visibility, not just fog.

Very heavy rain /spray, smoke from roadside fires etc could all be legitimate uses.

I only put mine on when I'm struggling to see the car in front. - I figure that if I don't need their light to see them, then I don't need mine on for other drivers to see me.

That's all very well, until you have to stop suddenly just as you're thinking about putting your lights on, and the driver behind should have gone to Specsavers...

Yes it is always the rear high intensity fog lights that are the problem,with rain droplets it magnifies the glare,it does cause other drivers to try and get past the offending car,as E55BOF has said that car braking and a driver with less than good eyesight may well lead to a accident,on a positive note,given it was a Sunday night and pouring down,I must admit I was surprised there was so few cars with the fog lights on,just maybe drivers are starting to use their brains,never mind what the highway code says,leave the fog lights off in the rain.

The lights are there for any conditions that severely limit visibility, not just fog.

Very heavy rain /spray, smoke from roadside fires etc could all be legitimate uses.

Wrong. Have you thought about the effect of rear fog lights have on the driver behind when mixed with spray? Quite apart from the fact that it means it gets confused with brake lights, the glare is really distracting. Fog lights are for, umm FOG!

Wrong. Have you thought about the effect of rear fog lights have on the driver behind when mixed with spray? Quite apart from the fact that it means it gets confused with brake lights, the glare is really distracting. Fog lights are for, umm FOG!

Wrong!

From the UK Highway Code ... No mention of use only in fog

"Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves"

You don't think maybe you need to see cars coming the other way before they are level with the bumper of the car in front of you...put your lights on, it will not reduce your mpg.

Wrong!

From the UK Highway Code ... No mention of use only in fog

"Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves"

When does spray cause you to not be able to see anything for more than 100metres? Never seen it happen at all. You can see people's normal tail lights even in thick spray. Using fog lights in this situation is both counterproductive and potentially dangerous as you cannot see brake lights easily.

When does spray cause you to not be able to see anything for more than 100metres? Never seen it happen at all. You can see people's normal tail lights even in thick spray. Using fog lights in this situation is both counterproductive and potentially dangerous as you cannot see brake lights easily.

You stated they were for fog only, I quoted the Highway code to show that your statement is incorrect.

No where do I, or the Highway code, mention use in spray.

So many people over think these things.
A fog light on the right of the car will make it difficult to see brake lights? Plleeaaasssseeeee.

Everyone wants to be offended...red lights don't dazzle...look at one for a long time, look away...do you still see it...no.

So many people over think these things.
A fog light on the right of the car will make it difficult to see brake lights? Plleeaaasssseeeee.

Everyone wants to be offended...red lights don't dazzle...look at one for a long time, look away...do you still see it...no.

They cause glare which is the reason that some years back the government put out ads saying that fog lights are designed for fog and not to be used in rainy conditions. Since fog lights have at least the same intensity as brake lights, it can make the brake light less easy to notice.

Sit behind people using them in motorway traffic that is queued for 10 miles or so at 30 - 40mph in wet conditions and the glare can lead to you coming off at the next service area.

As someone who has Keratoconus, idiots out there with their fog lights on during heavy rain on any road dazzle the hell out of my eyes. I'll over overtake or simply pull over and get some decent distance

I find people that use fogs when not needed, are the same drivers that drive forward into a space and then struggle to reverse out of it and drive away. Just makes me think they have no clue

^ I also throw these buffoons in the same bin as the middle lane brigade, and the drivers that go all the way round a roundabout cutting people up on each exit in the wrong lane

Shame my job involves 60% driving each day I see it all

No, I was correct.

The Highway Code, as already pointed out by others says that High intensity rear lights can be used in any circumstances were visibility is seriously impaired.

There are many reasons why this may be the case.

I have never confused a high intensity rear light with a brake light and have never been dazzled by them. If you are then you may need to see your optician as there are some eye conditions that make glare more of a problem at night etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom