Automatic lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry I'll rephrase that, I know how fog lights/DRL's,/full beam and the indicators work, oh and the interior lights, Jesus people are reading far too deep into this

So you will know how to turn the auto lights off...

He wasn't talking about foglights.

DRLs are on only at the front...not the rear. A stupid and retrograde step imo. When Volvo and Saab introduced DRL in the '70s...they were on front and rear.

I've been driving for 44 years.
I agree. It is not only stupid but dangerous as in bright but dense fog the auto lights often don't activate and so many people are driving with DRLs only. The recent fog was a good example as loads of cars had only DRLs and therefore no rear lights. Yes the drivers should be more aware / educated but this is a serious safety issue.

I agree. It is not only stupid but dangerous as in bright but dense fog the auto lights often don't activate and so many people are driving with DRLs only. The recent fog was a good example as loads of cars had only DRLs and therefore no rear lights. Yes the drivers should be more aware / educated but this is a serious safety issue.
The DRLs on Mrs Mikey's 2018 Seat Leon include rear lights, like the Volvos & Saabs of old. Wish my S204 had the same.

The DRLs on Mrs Mikey's 2018 Seat Leon include rear lights, like the Volvos & Saabs of old. Wish my S204 had the same.
Current BMW’s (at least on the new 8 series and 1 series) can be configured on the dash menu for rear running lights all the time if you want them, or just front. Your choice.

I don't recall seeing this thread when it was first started so I just read through the whole thing. Strikes me the OP as a relatively new member wasn't exactly given a warm welcome for asking a simple and reasonable question. Not surprising then that he hasn't posted since.

For what it's worth I think mine are too sensitive.

OK, after reading post number 7, tell us why you feel this way?
OK, you say they're too sensitive but I've read many posts that relate to how Mercedes have deemed it necessary to have them on when the ordinary driver might not think so?

I have had my lights turn on when there was bright sunlight behind me.

The thinking being that the sunlight may dazzle drivers coming toward you so the lights come on to make you more visible.

OK, after reading post number 7, tell us why you feel this way?

Because they activate on a bright sunny day when I drive into the shade. Easy fix , I no longer use the auto feature just as others don't use other auto features like stop/start.

As for for post 7, the idea that Mercedes are omnipotent and never makes mistakes in either design or execution, well that's just laughable. Have a guess which was the most recalled manufacturer in Europe for the last 4 years running.

Because they activate on a bright sunny day when I drive into the shade. Easy fix , I no longer use the auto feature just as others don't use other auto features like stop/start.
So Mercedes spend millions and find that with the sun behind you as you drive into the shade, drivers coming towards you cannot see you as the sun is shining in their eyes. They then think if your headlights are on, you will be visible to any car coming towards you. You however, think this is rubbish and switch your auto headlights off?

How many people do you see these early mornings with just sidelights on, it’s still dark and a couple of days ago when we had fog you could hardly see them.
Whats wrong with lights coming on early ? If it wasn’t for DRL’s coming on all the time we would hardly see some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom