Automatic sliding door repair and adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddydave

Car
Viano 639 3.0 V6
Good morning all. I have a 58 plate viano 639 with auto sliding doors that are not consistently closing fully.
The rollers/runners are worn so I know I will need to replace them but I was wondering if anyone has got a guide as to how the closing mechanism is adjusted and any tips to make them work better. Sometimes they look shut but the warning light will be on so the vehicle won’t lock. HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLP
TIA

We welcome,not too sure how many members have a sliding door Viano,I knew a guy who had one and he had the problem of even though they shut the light stayed on and he replaced the micro switches which as far as I know solved the problem,but as you say if the rollers are well worn,you might need to buy the parts needed to effect a repair

I've replaced a motor mechanism to one of mine and can see that there is no adjustment.
My o/s does the same in that it doesn't always close fully, but on mine it can be seen to still be out some at the back of the door. I had a theory that it may be low battery voltage causing the motor to not pull hard enough but have now discounted that theory.

As for the door looking closed and still with the warning light, a flippin' nuisance as you have to drive at 10mph to find out, have you tried changing the door plates yet. There are 2 to each door mounted in the door pillars. It is possible to swap o/s to n/s as this turns each upside down and then contacts onto a new area of the plate. When I did this things improved for a while but eventually I replaced all 4 with new for £30.84 delivered, and that has improved things.
If you are tempted to clean the plates only use a gentle abrasive cleaner like a kitchen cleaner as they are coated and that doesn't want to be removed.

! an after thought tip,
if you decide to swap or replace the plates tie something long around the wires before unplugging. I used long skinny cable ties.
Dropping a plug into the door pillar would be a nuisance.

Reactions: 219
Probably what you were asking for originally but today I've been adjusting the door mounts and D catch.

I had the o/s door that would occasionally fail to latch and stay ajar some at the rear of the door.
I would give it a shove just as it was about to close and that would work.
I've now adjusted the D latch on the C pillar, actually moved outward from the inside a little. It now catches more reliably, I hope.

The n/s door recently became as yours. Looked closed but would leave the LED indicating on the dash and the interior lights took 20 minutes to extinguish.
I adjusted that one at the top front travelling arm, on the door. It was definitely trial and error and as I fannied with that D latch as well I cant be sure what effect, negative or positive, it may have had.

Adjustments are also possible at the lower travelling arm, again at the door.
Also each door has a buffer at the lower rear corner. This is screwed into the van body and adjusted by loosening a 13mm hex nut and rotating. I imagine this is to offer support to the door while in motion and prevent rattling, so should be in gentle contact. If too far out it may prevent the door closing.

As said, some trial and error so I won't be surprised if I'm adjusting again tomorrow after it has settled.
If it hasn't worked I guess it's door off to get to micro switches within.

Reactions: 219
Good morning all. I have a 58 plate viano 639 with auto sliding doors that are not consistently closing fully.
The rollers/runners are worn so I know I will need to replace them but I was wondering if anyone has got a guide as to how the closing mechanism is adjusted and any tips to make them work better. Sometimes they look shut but the warning light will be on so the vehicle won’t lock. HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLP
TIA
I have the same problem, I have changed the plate and pins, still not working. how do you fix your door?

I have the same problem, I have changed the plate and pins, still not working. how do you fix your door?
I sorted the fault with the door saying it was still open by replacing the main latch at the rear of the door. It houses micro switches that become worn. Replacing the latch/catch sorted the problem straight away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom