Automatic transmission or manual in a sporty Merc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swithin

Car
99 SL500, 2014 C250 AMG Sport +, 2016 C220d, Range Rover 4.2sc, Mini Cooper S
Good afternoon all,

Its been a long time since my last post. Still got my 1999 SL500 which I thought i'd killed last week after a blast on the motorway. Was very fortunate in that the crank shaft pulley shattered but didn't cause damage to the engine :). My local Indy, Stevensons did an excellent job fixing it.

I've added to my Mercedes family with a 2014 C250d AMG Sport Plus estate and a 2016 C220d both of which are manual transmission and my first diesel cars. It took me a while to get used to changing from first to second so quickly in the diesels but after that they're a dream to use. I recently had the use of a 2018 C200 with an automatic gearbox and hated it. The automatic box was terrible in comfort mode, impossible in eco mode, which I tried only once, and only seemed to work properly in sport+ mode which means far more trips to fill up. (I get around 53mpg in the C220d in rush hour, only managed 32 on same trip in the loaner. My 1999 SL's auto box is awesome as was the box on a 2011 ML350 I had, has the quality gone down the drain? I took the C250d as a part exchange on a VW I hated and wanted shot of thinking that I could sell it on quickly but even though potential buyers love the looks and the spec they are put off by it being a manual! Whats going on in the world??

Yep... automatic all the way in cars like these :D

Its taken me a while to get used to the manual in a diesel but after the 1st gear is dispatched with, its great, more control I feel and much better mpg.

I personally find the combination of manual and diesel tricky - I find it hard to drive them smoothly.

But, more generally, people expect Merc's to be auto's. There are very few manuals out there. Hence people being a bit cautious.

Mercedes buyers have preferred autos for years, possibly originally because the manual gearboxes weren't great, the kind of people who want a manual Mercedes usually buy a BMW. In my youth I converted a few "auto only" cars to manual and it makes a massive difference to the feel of the car (Granada 24v Cosworth suddenly becomes a pretty fast car when converted properly!!) but older autos were very basic so maybe it makes less of a difference these days.

Auto all the way I still refuse to drive my better half's car because it's a manual.

I do see your point though, there are times when I really want to love manuals like open roads and country lanes but then I watch my missus faff around in traffic and the fantasy is gone.

Id have a manual in a small sports car but not a large saloon.

Also, it also revolves around what constitutes a "sporty Merc". When I first read the title I though of SLK's or whatever they are called now. IIRC they come with an optional 6 speed manual which seems to make sense.

Not sure I'd class a C Class or an E Class with a Sport badge as particularly sporty, tbh.

I have two feet. Therefore, I don't want more than two pedals.
(A twisty road is second only to heavy traffic as being the worst place to have a clutch pedal).

I have two feet. Therefore, I don't want more than two pedals.
(A twisty road is second only to heavy traffic as being the worst place to have a clutch pedal).
With two pedals, only one foot is needed. Either on the throttle or on the brake. Left peg is redundant in an auto.

I brought this subject up as I had a c200 loaner with an auto box while my c220d manual was being fixed. The auto biz was awful in all but sport + mode. My 99SL has a beautiful auto biz as does my Rangie. Got to admit in the C220d saloon the manual box works and today returned me 53mpg in town traffic something the brand new c220 could not touch. I also have a C250d AMG sport plus which is manual with an enhanced engine and that works well with the manual and returns 45mpg on similar journeys.

With two pedals, only one foot is needed. Either on the throttle or on the brake. Left peg is redundant in an auto.

Left foot for braking. So much smoother and safer too. (Can cover brake without lifting throttle as a just-in-case without bozo behind getting too close).

Oh and the C250 with AMG dress and suspension, corners like it’s on rails. The twin turbo diesel also v quick, helped by the manual box

The old adage was always buy an automatic Mercedes and a manual BMW and never the twain shall meet...

I had the 7spd in my SLK (R712) 350 and now have the 9spd in my SL. The 7 sucked the 9 is awesome.

Reactions: Ted
Seven speed works very well in the R171 55.

Even the AMG e class cars are not really "sporty" IMO, to big and lardy to feel sporty, if your divers seat weighs more than you do your car is never going to be sporty! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom