Automatic window closure when locking car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjay123

Hi, just purchased a SL350 and was wondering if anyone knew where i can get the key programmed to shut the windows automatically when locking the car from the outside?
am i able to get the roof to close on one push of the button as well without standing there like a lemon?

Last car was a 911 but AM LOVING THE SL
woop woop

andy

I've had an SL for 3 years and had no idea you could close the roof using the key!!

You can only close the roof with the key if it's fitted with the IR receivers in the door handles. You have to stand close to the handle, point the key at the receiver and then stand there like a standing still person for 20 seconds with your finger on the button while the roof opens or closes.

I don't believe there is a one shot window close from outside the vehicle, but could be wrong and I don't have my manuals to hand. You can open/close all windows from inside the car by holding down the recirc button on the climate controls. (Believe you can do that in most if not all Mercs).

To get true one touch open/close for the roof from both the remote and internal switch, and to be able to open/close the roof while moving up to 40mph you need to fit either a SmartTop module from the USA or a Cabrio Module from Germany. The Cabrio module is the better priced and it does not interfere with any speed sensitive functions on the car. The SmartTop module has more function in that it adds one touch window open/close as well, but it also then interferes with the speed sensitive wipers and I believe the audio volume. I fitted the cabrio module to mine and am delighted with it.

I'll check on the standard window functions as soon as I can.

Regards,

As I thought. If you open the roof with the remote it opens the windows. If you close the roof with the remote it closes the windows. So, if you want to close them from outside the car, hold the key pointed at the door handle with your finger on the lock button until they've closed. If you want to do this while walking away after 3 clicks on the lock button then you need either of the modules noted above.

Regards,

really appreciate the advice

They sell one a week on an eBay auction. This weeks, which ends tomorrow, looks like it could be a great deal for someone...

Mercedes SL R230 SLK R171 comfort roof top module on eBay (end time 21-Nov-10 18:50:28 GMT)

Otherwise, you can buy from them direct...

Reinhold Engineering

Also, if you're going to fit it yourself, then read my thread coz it's much easier to fit it behind the drivers seat than where they suggest in the door sill. It takes a little trial and error finding the right CANBus slot though.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/96738-cabrio-module.html

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom