Autonomous braking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
Has anyone had their autonomous braking kick in?

I seem to get VERY near cars and always have to intervene as I don't think it will actually brake.

If it does kick in it's going to be very very late and very very hard with lots of ABS.

You're not supposed to rely on it. Don't get so close to cars.

The distance at which it'll slam on is deliberately uncomfortably close, so drivers won't rely on it to brake for them. It's an emergency measure. It will brake, but you'd have braked first, unless distracted, and that's what the feature is for.

If you want to test it, get a sofa cushion or something similar and at about 10mph, roll into it, the car will show the red warning triangle, then beep, then slam on and stop.

To be honest if you need to rely on any sort of braking device other than the normal braking system you really should not be driving.

I wonder how can such a feature ever be tested by the driver.....?

Wow!!

The world is getting lazy.

Just as you'd rather not have the ABS activate, then you'd rather not have the auto braking do it for you either.

I can't wait for the first case where someone sues because the autonomous steering didn't do it's job!!!!!!!

Driving is a serious business, unfortunately these devices will ultimately lead to a dumbing down...sorry OP...but it has started with you.

Never has RTFM been so vital.

A sofa cushion or a big box.

Is it radar based or optical ? Or both?

If radar based than cardboard might not do, if optical then a large sheet of papaer (banner) will do?

Has anyone had their autonomous braking kick in?

I seem to get VERY near cars and always have to intervene as I don't think it will actually brake.

If it does kick in it's going to be very very late and very very hard with lots of ABS.
Is this a serious question?

I've experienced it going off once and it stopped me rear ending someone. It's not something you should be thinking about, it's autonomous

In a hypothetical scenario where the car in front deliberately brake tests you (invoking activation of autonomous braking) then accelerates away - is your car smart enough to then release the brakes or does it bring the car to a standstill exposing you to the considerable danger of being rear-ended by following traffic?

The S205 I used to own that ended up being rejected had an issue with the auto braking as part of the collision mitigation system.

I for one can say the system works very well, although it's weird for the brake peddle to disappear from under your foot.

Shame on my last car a leaf blowing past would set it off........ At least the new car is all good.

In a hypothetical scenario where the car in front deliberately brake tests you (invoking activation of autonomous braking) then accelerates away - is your car smart enough to then release the brakes or does it bring the car to a standstill exposing you to the considerable danger of being rear-ended by following traffic?

'Tis a good question. And what if (when) it malfunctions as you are about to make an overtake manoeuvre?

Hi,
We live in Abu Dhabi and there are speed bumps everywhere.
People in front often slow down too much for speed bumps and we have had the auto braking kick in numerous times - it works well but can be a bit vicious.
The auto braking with the cruise function is also great when somebody wanders into our lane and fills the gap between us and the car in front!
These combined with the blind spot detection are great safety features on our car!
Cheers
Steve

When I set distronic cruise in London's extensive 20mph zones (as I find maintaining the slow speeds stresses me out, so set it on auto pilot which also acts as a speed limiter, and chill)

However on the rare occasion the car doesn't seem to slow down, and I just wonder when the car is going to actually brake. I leave it late as possible to see if the autonomous brakes work, but I have to brake abruptly.

It 'feels' like it might only brake within about 2 metres before impact, unless Distronic 'malfunctioned'. TV ads like Toyota seem to portray the autonomous braking happening a good few metres away http://youtu.be/u84kLZgAeLM

Thanks for the YouTube link tiim533 that's useful, I thought that it might not be working and was curious when autonomous braking actually starts braking.

The S205 I used to own that ended up being rejected had an issue with the auto braking as part of the collision mitigation system.

I for one can say the system works very well, although it's weird for the brake peddle to disappear from under your foot.

Shame on my last car a leaf blowing past would set it off........ At least the new car is all good.

A leaf? That would potentially cause the drivers behind you to rear end you. :crazy:

When I set distronic cruise in London's extensive 20mph zones (as I find maintaining the slow speeds stresses me out, so set it on auto pilot which also acts as a speed limiter, and chill)

However on the rare occasion the car doesn't seem to slow down, and I just wonder when the car is going to actually brake. I leave it late as possible to see if the autonomous brakes work, but I have to brake abruptly.

It 'feels' like it might only brake within about 2 metres before impact, unless Distronic 'malfunctioned'. TV ads like Toyota seem to portray the autonomous braking happening a good few metres away http://youtu.be/u84kLZgAeLM

Thanks for the YouTube link tiim533 that's useful, I thought that it might not be working and was curious when autonomous braking actually starts braking.
Hi,
If we approach slower traffic with the distronic switched on, the car brakes in plenty of time.
If we approach cars that are static at traffic lights - I will brake before the car does - as it seems to leave things too late!
If distronic is switched off, then the auto braking that happens when somebody stops abruptly in front of us is very vicious - but effective.
Cheers
Steve

Wow, just wow.

It is not a driver aid, it's a bleeding emergency feature.

Wow, just wow.

It is not a driver aid, it's a bleeding emergency feature.

Hi,
Of course, you are right - but it's good to know the limits of all the features fitted to your car.
The first time that fully automatic braking happened on our car was quite a shock - due to the vicious nature of the braking - along with all the noises and warning lights!
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom