Auxiliary battery malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, just had my aux battery (voltage regulator) as the dealership call it changed under extended warranty, problem is the dealership informed me it has not cleared the message fault, and if I want them to see what’s causing the issue they want £160 an hour to fault find, just wondering if it’s a good drive could cure the issue, anyone else had this sort of experience after changing the regulator.
Definitely leave the car running for a good while after having the capacitor changed to charge it up.
Give it a good drive of an hour or so after letting the car idle for at least 30 minutes, the error should clear itself, if it doesn't then either the capacitor itself is still faulty or you might need to get the error reset but it's usually not a stored error but a live one iirc.

Definitely leave the car running for a good while after having the capacitor changed to charge it up.
Give it a good drive of an hour or so after letting the car idle for at least 30 minutes, the error should clear itself, if it doesn't then either the capacitor itself is still faulty or you might need to get the error reset but it's usually not a stored error but a live one iirc.
Thanks for the info Paul, you would think the dealership would know this and advise accordingly, but nothing surprises me these days with my dealership.

Quick update.....

Given the car is mapped I didn't want to go to a Merc dealer, and so it's been into an indie in Chester today. They diagnosed that the aux battery (capacitor) was at fault and fitted a new on. £255 all in and no more messages (for now).

Thanks all for your help and advice

Thanks for your post paulr7. Armed with your information I ordered reconditioned replacement voltage regulator from MB Edinburgh via their EBay shop at a cost of £95. I know there are less expensive MB ones available but decided to stick with the MB unit as MB parts have a 2 year warranty. Unit arrived today and fitted in 35 minutes. Fired car up after fitting and no error message so a very happy boy.

Hi Everyone I had the same problem so I bought a new one from amazon for £44 and fit it my self a bit scarey but all working ok now .
Just be careful not to touch the battery connections on the fuse panel in the foot well I don't know what they are for but they are live.

Robert

Thanks for your post paulr7. Armed with your information I ordered reconditioned replacement voltage regulator from MB Edinburgh via their EBay shop at a cost of £95. I know there are less expensive MB ones available but decided to stick with the MB unit as MB parts have a 2 year warranty. Unit arrived today and fitted in 35 minutes. Fired car up after fitting and no error message so a very happy boy.
Hi can u please advise if this is the same for a W213 my AMG as my stop/start and easy entry and exit seats never work, could this be an underlying issue. The dealership just couldn't find the issue at all, one of the management taken the car for themselves for a day to see the issue. a weak capacitor-regulator aka auxiliary battery may not through any errors but they dont charge to their full capacity. So the techs may not know what to look for. Can you please advise the indie merc tech please. A contact information may be so I could speak to them. Thanks for the reply cheers!

Quick update.....

Given the car is mapped I didn't want to go to a Merc dealer, and so it's been into an indie in Chester today. They diagnosed that the aux battery (capacitor) was at fault and fitted a new on. £255 all in and no more messages (for now).

Thanks all for your help and advice
Hi can u please advise if this is the same for a W213 my AMG as my stop/start and easy entry and exit seats never work, could this be an underlying issue. The dealership just couldn't find the issue at all, one of the management taken the car for themselves for a day to see the issue. a weak capacitor-regulator aka auxiliary battery may not through any errors but they dont charge to their full capacity. So the techs may not know what to look for. Can you please advise the indie merc tech please. A contact information may be so I could speak to them. Thanks for your help and advise cheers!

Hi all can u please advise if this is the same for a W213 my AMG as my stop/start and easy entry and exit seats never work, could this be an underlying issue. The dealership just couldn't find the issue at all, one of the management taken the car for themselves for a day to see the issue. a weak capacitor-regulator aka auxiliary battery may not throw any errors but they dont charge to their full capacity. So the techs may not know what to look for. Can you please advise the indie merc tech please. A contact information may be so I could speak to them. Thanks for the reply cheers!

I am just enquiring, did you actually get this done under the extended warranty? Cheers
No, see post above. I tool it to a local indie and they did it.

Car has been fine ever since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom