Avantgarde vs Elegance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mykulmerc

Car
W209 CLK 270 Avantgarde
I'm sure this has come up before, but don't ever remember reading a definite answer..

Elegance vs Avantgarde - are differences just in trim or does the Avantgarde have more of a sports set up suspension?

In particular W209 CLK 270 is what I'm thinking about.

Welcome aboard.
The Elegance is more of a softer car with great comfort but handling is as good as your Grandmother's favourite arm chair.
The Avantgarde on the other hand has a more sporty set up but is still comfortable.

Yes, it has come up before :rolleyes:

On the 209, I'm pretty sure it is just trim (Elegance has wood trim, Avantgarde has aluminium), different style alloys, colour of tint to glass, etc. I've got a brochure at home and will check to be sure.

On some other models there are more differences (e.g. 211)

I can only comment with any conviction on the 211, but assume it's the same across the board.

The Avantgarde has a lower and stiffer setup than the Elegance. However, you could order the "comfort" suspension for the Avantgarde (if you found it too hard) and probably vice versa too. If by sporty you means does it crash and bang all over the road then the answer is no; however IMHO it does give a more controlled ride from a driver's perspective (and none of the rest of the family have complained that it's too hard). I have driven an Elegance and found that too soft and wallowy, but that be due to living down country lanes and such rather than relentlessly pounding the motorways.

On the 209, I'm pretty sure it is just trim (Elegance has wood trim, Avantgarde has aluminium), different style alloys, colour of tint to glass, etc. I've got a brochure at home and will check to be sure.

Thats much appreciated! It would be nice to know for sure. I would like an Elegarde - ie Elegance trim with Avantgarde handling. Given that I'm looking for a secondhand car I probably won't have the luxury of Mr E's suggestion.

That's correct, Avantgarde has a blue tint to the glass and also the grill is more "silver" (I think the slats are thicker than than Elegance)

Thats much appreciated! It would be nice to know for sure. I would like an Elegarde - ie Elegance trim with Avantgarde handling. Given that I'm looking for a secondhand car I probably won't have the luxury of Mr E's suggestion.

When I was first looking for a S211, I preferred the idea of the Elegance version. I thought the wood looked better than the bland aluminium in the interior. However, I then test drove an Elegance model E270CDI. It was black with black interior. The ride was indeed a little wallowy to my thinking, but the wood trim did not suite the interior at all.

I ended up with an Avantgarde version E320CDI which was a lot smoother (engine-wise), much better looking interior - dark 'smoked' wood and the aluminium as already mentioned. This was much more appealing to look at, although the original thought of it put me off a bit. The ride is indeed firmed too, but again, that helps - in my opinion. The car always feels firmly planted and secure.

Goes to show - you need to see them in the flesh before making your mind up!

Our two E300TDs are avantgarde.
They are in some ways different.
One has leather interior.
The other does not.
One has rain-sensing wipers
One has self-dimming mirors.

The difference is in the lower ride and the stiffer suspension of the avantgarde models compared with the elegance.

The differance between Avantgarde and Elegance in the 211 are ,
Stiffer lower suspension and 5 spoke wheels
Blue tint windows
Alloy dash display and on pre face lift car gear selector souround
Birds eye maple wood trim ( black colour )
Xenon lights with head light wash and auto leveling
standard half leather trim
different front bumper and sill covers on pre face lift cars , face lift cars just have different spot light covers .

hope this helps

Yes, different models have different differences between the two different trim levels :crazy:

Turning to my 2004 209 CLK brochure:

"Elegance has atlas grey radiator grille with chrome strips, 7-spoke alloys (16" or 17" on the 500), green tint glass, walnut wood (or brown ash as a no-cost option) trim to centre console and doors"

"Avantgarde stands out with its high-sheen black radiator grille with chrome trim strips, blue-tinted windows, 5-spoke alloy wheels (16" or 17" on the 500), aluminium trim to centre console and doors"

"Direct Control suspension is fitted as standard. Avantgarde has the option of sports suspension."

Xenons, leather, Comand, luxury climate, etc. are an option on both.

So, basically it is just minor trim differences on the 209 to distinguish between the Elegance and Avantgarde. You pays yer money and takes yer choice. SWMBO had a 240 Elegance Cab, now a 200k Sport. The 209 (especially as a Cab) is not a particularly sporting car in either guise, more a comfortable cruiser.

Hope that helps

Thanks guys thats loads of info. My main interestis in the suspension rather than details of trim spec (but standby for me to change my mind). guess I'll just have to drive them to find out whether or not sports supsension is what I really want.

I bought a clk320 elegance a fortnight ago. Having had an avantgarde before can say that the comments here, generally are true. The elegance is, in my opinion, a much smoother ride. Far less bouncy. I've heard people describe the feel as 'floaty' before, but for me it is true comfort, really refined. And the 320 v6 gives me plenty of kick, when I want it! Perhaps its me getting old but I prefer the refinement of the elegance!!!

Mercedes-Benz C209 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'For Europe the models are available as "Elegance" and "Avantgarde" essentially, basically 'Luxury' or 'Attitude' specification where the Elegance uses Burr Walnut trim and polished alloy wheels and the Avantgarde uses alloy trim and chunkier wheels. Also there is the Sport upgrade package for the Avantgarde, with 18" Alloys and an interior upgrade.'

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'For Europe the models are available as "Elegance" or "Avantgarde" versions, basically Luxury or Sport specification where the Elegance uses burled walnut trim and polished alloy wheels the Avantgarde uses alloy trim and wider, sportier wheels. The price and specification for European models is otherwise the same.'

So according to the first Wikipedia entry, the suspension is only different if your Avantgarde has the optional 18" wheels?

Yes, different models have different differences between the two different trim levels :crazy:

Turning to my 2004 209 CLK brochure:

"Elegance has atlas grey radiator grille with chrome strips, 7-spoke alloys (16" or 17" on the 500), green tint glass, walnut wood (or brown ash as a no-cost option) trim to centre console and doors"

"Avantgarde stands out with its high-sheen black radiator grille with chrome trim strips, blue-tinted windows, 5-spoke alloy wheels (16" or 17" on the 500), aluminium trim to centre console and doors"

"Direct Control suspension is fitted as standard. Avantgarde has the option of sports suspension."

Xenons, leather, Comand, luxury climate, etc. are an option on both.

So, basically it is just minor trim differences on the 209 to distinguish between the Elegance and Avantgarde. You pays yer money and takes yer choice. SWMBO had a 240 Elegance Cab, now a 200k Sport. The 209 (especially as a Cab) is not a particularly sporting car in either guise, more a comfortable cruiser.

Hope that helps

Define sporting? My 209 320 cabriolet does not wallow all over the road and has a fair turn of pace for a heavy open top car! but it does have 18" wheels so possibly sports suspension?

Tony.

It's supposed to be the same suspension on Elegance and Avantgarde versions of my car, unless fitted with Sport suspension, which mine isn't as Sport also adds 17" wheels, and mine are 16".

Yet my Avantgarde model defintely looks lower than Elegance models, and it's much harsher than I would like.

I cant really comment on comfort my avantgarde feels like its running on a cloud ! But my daily is a 2009 ford ranger thunder pickup!

I am a new owner of a 2003 SLK320 Elegance (7 spoke 17" alloys. I find the car quite stiff and "jiggly". What a word eh; however it fits my feelings! however when cornering especially when just managing to hold the tail it stays remarkably flat and those 245x40's (45's on mine while looking for a little more comfort and providing a +2mph to true speedo readout) just hold on especially when you try to make them brake. So all in all I'll put up with the lumpiness to avail myself of the road holding..................................superbsky. By the way does your car suffer from petrol station entrance swerv? I can't think of a way of curing this steering ailment, I rather think its like me trying to pass by a pub.
Cheers,
Chris S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom