Avarage speed cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
I did a run to Nottingham on weekend 350 miles trip.While on the road passed few road works with avarage speed cameras.Set up cruize control to 50 and relax ish.I noticed that at least 60% of drivers were flying by at least 70 plus.Will they be punished with a ticket???Reason for asking - got few cu cu bannanas behind me, right on my bumper.... Forcing me to go faster, to slow for them obviously
What do you think??

There are always loons on the road, just let them pass unless you are obliged to stick in lane. However, calibrate your speedo, because 50mph indicated could easily be lower in reality and you could be travelling a good few mph below the actual limit, which is unfair on others who wish to make lawful progress.

Cruise control at 50 probably means 47 true, can be tested with a satnav. Thats why you had tailgaiters, but 'forced' to go faster?
Again - whats a CU CU Banana?

Where were the cameras? I think the ones at Rugby are fake because of the way some of them point at the lanes but I wouldn't take it for granted I always set my limiter and let people go past me.

Sometimes when the cameras are on raised concrete posts you can see if they're real or not by looking at the base as you drive past - see if there are any cables, some of the cameras when the J25-28 lane widening works were going on were fakes only a certain number were wired up.

It's the people who go haring past but stand on the brakes as they approach each camera that make me smile.

I normally set 55 on the cruise control for roadworks like these. As mentioned most speedos over-read a little, and the ACPO guidelines suggest a minimum of 57 mph for a fixed penalty in a 50 zone.

Cruise control at 50 probably means 47 true, can be tested with a satnav. Thats why you had tailgaiters, but 'forced' to go faster?
Again - whats a CU CU Banana?

^ as above sat navs give a far more accurate speed reading than our cars dash,if you have a stand alone sat nav look at the speed reading next time your cars speedo reads 70 mph(i bet it's no more than 66mph).

^^^ I did just that with a 'proper' GPS unit rather than a satnav, and was mightily pleased that my indicated 70 was 69.1 on the Garmin GPS :bannana:

Use a sat nav to show your true speed, for a 50mph limit, the cameras will probably be set for something over 55mph at least, so when the sat nav shows 53mph set your speed limiter, which will probably show 55mph+ on the dash. Then you too can be a cu cu banana! :bannana::bannana:

Russ

^^^ I did just that with a 'proper' GPS unit rather than a satnav, and was mightily pleased that my indicated 70 was 69.1 on the Garmin GPS :bannana:

Suprised:confused:

Use a sat nav to show your true speed, for a 50mph limit, the cameras will probably be set for something over 55mph at least, so when the sat nav shows 53mph set your speed limiter, which will probably show 55mph+ on the dash. Then you too can be a cu cu banana! :bannana::bannana:

Russ

Spot on;)

I thought there were a number of factors involved in using them that affected the accuracy of sat nav in terms of timing information and therefore position and speed estimations?

Russ

I think the old ACPO guidelines that were banded about were 10% + 2mph - so I would assume 57mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom