Avatars and signatures - useful/entertaining or a waste of space?

Should we allow avatars and signatures?

• Yes, they are ok

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • No, they are guff

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Avatars are a handy way of visually identifying the poster. Recognising avatars from known 'good' posters is sometimes quite handy in large threads. Can't see any reason why they should be removed.

Signatures I don't mind (see below!), but these need to be applied with a bit of discipline and consideration. 15 line/3 image monsters can quickly make a forum unviewable which then means they need to be turned off, negating the point.

Moderating this is a PITA though because some feel their human rights are being interfered with when they are told they can't include a 320x240 image of their lensflared wheels and seventeen Simpsons quotes, or some such.

At least those who have a religious aversion to signatures can switch them off to declutter the page.

Avatars are a handy way of visually identifying the poster. Recognising avatars from known 'good' posters is sometimes quite handy in large threads. Can't see any reason why they should be removed.

Signatures I don't mind (see below!), but these need to be applied with a bit of discipline and consideration. 15 line/3 image monsters can quickly make a forum unviewable which then means they need to be turned off, negating the point.

Moderating this is a PITA though because some feel their human rights are being interfered with when they are told they can't include a 320x240 image of their lensflared wheels and seventeen Simpsons quotes, or some such.

At least those who have a religious aversion to signatures can switch them off to declutter the page.

^^^

In a nutshell.

I like them as people have said they are almost a face to a name:confused:
If you look like a merc that is :eek:

Last edited:
Avatars are fine but signatures are a constant pain imho.

I would turn them off inmy profile but I need to keep an eye on them so can't.

There is one avatar that I dislike intensely.
It is of a handgun pointed and waving at the viewer. Frankly, this isn't the forum for it.
It is the only one I would raise an objection to.

It is of a handgun pointed and waving at the viewer. Frankly, this isn't the forum for it.

What a strange reaction to a harmless picture.

You appear to object to EVERYTHING on these forums recently, looking through your post history you never seem to ever contribute anything Mercedes related at all (or cars for that matter) yet you are always happy to voice your opinion on what should or shouldnt be on this a car forum.

:dk:

EDIT: Oh, and my Avatar has been here for the best part of 7 years without anyone ever commenting on it, at Christmas I even added a Santa's hat to her.

Last edited:
Avatars are fine but signatures are a constant pain imho.

I would turn them off inmy profile but I need to keep an eye on them so can't.

Just a quiet word of support from me. Avatars are fine, out of line of sight, a bit of added value.

Signatures are obtrusive, in your face and boringly repetitive. Please get rid of them.

Express your self as you see fit. Our part of the world is free after all.

A splash of colour harms no one.

Is it because his avatar is in B&W?

You appear to object to EVERYTHING on these forums recently, looking through your post history you never seem to ever contribute anything Mercedes related at all (or cars for that matter) yet you are always happy to voice your opinion on what should or shouldnt be on this a forum.

:dk:

EDIT: Oh, and my Avatar has been here for the best part of 7 years without anyone ever commenting on it, at Christmas I even added a Santa's hat to her.

Is it appropriate for a moderator to have a public rant at another poster?

Another moderator, well two, saw fit to publish my facebook page on the forum about an issue on here that was over a day old, yet after it, I said on here I would let the issue lie. Was that appropriate? Was that fair? Was that right? Probably not, but who cares. Karls not IMHO overstepped it here and IMHO I find Bellow does post about car engines and highly technical aspects of cars which are actually of benefit, he's an OT man....

They, the modsm are members, why should they not take part in the discussion?

Last edited:

Im a mod yes, but im also a member of this forum. - am I not allowed to reply to a comment soulely aimed at myself with my observations? :confused:

Back on to the original subject, ive always liked (small) sigs on forums, forums without them have a duller appearance.

We have the best of both worlds here, with the option to turn them off.

Last edited:
Your are right to reply,personally I like your Avatar.:thumb:

Im a mod yes, but im also a member of this forum. - am I not allowed to reply to a comment soulely aimed at myself with my observations? :confused:

Back on to the original subject, ive always liked (small) sigs on forums, forums without them have a duller appearance.

We have the best of both worlds here, with the option to turn them off.

Of course you can comment, but as a mod you have the power to censor any replies you don't like. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

My avatar got changed to a picture of an SLK by somebody other than me...

Im not allowed to say that word either...:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom