AVCHD editing software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blondebier

Hi Guys,

I'm after some video editing software for my Sony HD camcorder. Sony have their own product called Vegas Studio, but I've been looking around at it appears Nero9 and Ulead VideoStudio Pro X2 might be better products.

Has anyone used any of these with or without much success?

I'm tempted by the Ulead offering as they currently have an offer for "Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate" and "VideoStudio Pro X2" as a bundle together for £75.

I've looked on AMAZON, are there any other good software retailers that come recommended?

Please suggest something else if you think it's better too.

Cheers,
Blondebier

I use Sony Vegas for my video editing - haven't found anything better yet. It's easy enough to use and does all that I need. Found mine on Fleabay for a good price - much less than £75!

I use Sony Vegas for my video editing - haven't found anything better yet. !

I agree with the above statement 100%

I'm using Vegas Pro 9 and, in the past, have tried many of the alternatives without much success and lots of frustrations.

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys. The only thing that puts me off Vegas Studio is the quality of the stuff that came with the camera!

The player that comes with it will only play the video clips if the camera or card is connected to the computer. It won't entertain the clips that have been transferred to my hard drive.

Thanks for the replies guys. The only thing that puts me off Vegas Studio is the quality of the stuff that came with the camera!

The player that comes with it will only play the video clips if the camera or card is connected to the computer. It won't entertain the clips that have been transferred to my hard drive.

Not sure that I follow. Are you saying that the quality of the included software is good or bad?

As I recall, included with my camera was the PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software which I use to import the clips from the camera although Vegas probably has this function. If it's the same program, then it does allow you to play them without the camera attached provided you've done the importing first.

Not sure that I follow. Are you saying that the quality of the included software is good or bad?
Hi Steve, I wasn't overly impressed with it.

I can open all the files using the picture motion browser but this has fairly basic functionality.

There is an additional application called "Player for AVCHD", and if I try and launch this without the camera attached it throws an error.

I don't mind spending a few quid on some software if it is good but I'd rather do it based on a recommendation.

Cheers,
Blondebier

Hi Steve, I wasn't overly impressed with it.

I can open all the files using the picture motion browser but this has fairly basic functionality.

There is an additional application called "Player for AVCHD", and if I try and launch this without the camera attached it throws an error.

I don't mind spending a few quid on some software if it is good but I'd rather do it based on a recommendation.

Cheers,
Blondebier

I think that the first thing you need to do is clarify what your goals are. If the intention is to produce a good quality movie that can include anything from adding credits, sound/light effects and good editing features then Vegas is the way to go. Playing video clips, once on your hard drive, is covered by PMB but I think that you perhaps want to be able to do more than that?

Cheers
Steve

Quite correct. I want to be able to edit and compile my videos.

I'll see if I can get a demo version of Vegas...

Cheers

Quite correct. I want to be able to edit and compile my videos.

I'll see if I can get a demo version of Vegas...

Cheers

Okay, good luck :thumb:

Apart from the enjoyment of putting these movies together, be prepared to leave your pc on overnight as when you get to the rendering stage it can take hours to finish them off. For an hour and a half movie, based on full HD settings, the rendering of one of these can take around 8-9 hours. Fortunately it's automated once you press the button :)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom