Average mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice trip home from work got mid 60s on the obc. Appreciate it's only the obc, but better obc readings than when new.

Attachments

• image-54213559.jpg
    image-54213559.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 34
2002 W210 E320cdi Avantgarde Estate, about 30 mpg around town and on a trip to Portsmouth M27 last week got 53 mpg, very pleased with this.:bannana:
always use ESSO Fuel.
BAZZER1

MJK 24 said:
My W124 230E isn't brilliant on fuel I must say. 32mpg on a good day. I thought it'd be a bit better than that bit I guess it's heavy, has a 4 speed gearbox and a diff that has it reving away on the motorway!

I wish my 300E was that economical.....

A good run with mostly motorway driving apart from the road works so there was a couple of bits of 50mph otherwise 60-70 all the way

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 23
CLK 270 CDI

Around Town I get about 30 MPG - On a run best so far has been around 44 Mpg. Have not had the car long so would you guys think this is acceptable for the car.

CLK 270 CDI

Around Town I get about 30 MPG - On a run best so far has been around 44 Mpg. Have not had the car long so would you guys think this is acceptable for the car.

Run some injector cleaner through it, that sounds a bit low for a 270, they are very frugal engines.

Mercedes E350 petrol estate 2012 averages 31.5 mpg over last 5000 miles of mixed driving
Best 38 mpg , worst 22 mpg

Mercedes 190E petrol 1993 averages 27-28 mpg just been serviced so it might improve a little

Run some injector cleaner through it, that sounds a bit low for a 270, they are very frugal engines.

I have tried a bottle of RedX, Can I ask what you think it should be returning, I am not heavy footed, I am planing a thermostat change soon as it seems to get up to temp slowly but gets there when I am in and around town, but on a motorway or longish run it seems to sit at sixty. I have read and had some advice on this from the forum. But as I am up North where its never warm I just wanted to monitor it for a while to see if the warmer weather makes any difference.

Just for example yesterday I did a twenty mile run each way. It was freezing outside, raining and it never got above 60. How much difference would the cold weather have on the cars temp.

Thanks in advance.

Marcel-Anthony

The cold weather should have hardly any effect on the temp.
If it is only getting up to 60 on a run then the stat is almost certainly at fault.
And there is the cause of the poor fuel consumption.

If it is only getting up to 60 on a run then the stat is almost certainly at fault.

Thanks Ted,

I had thought this would be the case but as I have only had the car now for almost a month, I thought i would run it for a while and keep monitoring it, But now I think its first on the list to do for next months Jobs on the Car.

Just out of interest Ted, why does a knackered thermostat cause reduced fuel economy?

And I had my car's thermostat changed in November and the coolant temp rose quickly again, but within a couple of months the temp started to rise slowly again. Any idea why, or do these cars eat through thermostats at a rapid rate?

Just to be clear, with the current thermostat the temp rises to normal temp (90 to 95°C) but it takes about 10 miles or so to reach this temp, whereas when the thermostat was new, I seem to remember the temp rose much faster.

Last edited:
Just had a long weekend away, did 423 miles, 4-up with luggage for self-catering, so a tad loaded. Came out at just under 55 mpg on the display, and 53.6 on brim to brim, on Shell Regular diesel.

Car's a 2013 C220 SE manual saloon with just over 10k miles done.

I'm happy at that.

ItalianTuneUp said:
Just out of interest Ted, why does a knackered thermostat cause reduced fuel economy?
When the engine is running cooler than optimum it will use more fuel - like using a choke on a cold engine.

When the engine is running cooler than optimum it will use more fuel - like using a choke on a cold engine.

So I suppose the thermostat should remain closed when the engine is started from cold until up to operating temperature, and then once this is reached, it opens and closes to keep engine at optimum operating temperature?

CLK 270 CDI

My C270 would average 47 mpg without particularly trying to drive economically ; if I tried hard I could coax high 50s mpg out of it .

Mercedes E350 petrol estate 2012 averages 31.5 mpg over last 5000 miles of mixed driving
Best 38 mpg , worst 22 mpg

Mercedes 190E petrol 1993 averages 27-28 mpg just been serviced so it might improve a little

My 1993 190E 1.8 LE is averaging around 35 mpg , my record so far is 42 mpg between fills on a long run .

The 500SEL could dip below 20 mpg if I was heavy footed , but I saw averages into the high 20s at other times ( especially after fitting the new exhaust system ) . I ran that car as my daily driver for close on five years and added about 80,000 miles to it .

My W124's tended to return high 20's as well , even with 'enthusiastic' driving , never noticed much difference either in performance nor consumption between the 300TE and the 300TE-24 .

The 190E 2.6 could eke out low 30s being careful , but could sink close to 20 if pressed on .

The older M110 engined cars all sat around 18 or so , dropping below 15 if driven hard , but the Ponton took the prize as my least economical car being down in the low teens and single figures at times ( but then it was designed and built in the 1950's when conspicuous fuel consumption was almost a status symbol ) .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom