Average speed cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Having just read the thread on variable speed cameras it reminded me of a conversation I had with some friends over Christmas.
None of us knew anyone who had been prosecuted for exceeding the posted average speed limit. Does anyone on here know anyone who has?

Yep.

One of my golf buddies got a ticket going through road works at the bottom end of the M1. Clearly marked as a average speed camera's.

Some big threads on these in the past, with people posting that they do know others who have been prosecuted. I don't, personally.

I agree they seem to be widely ignored, I'm routinely passed by people doing 20+ mph over the limit - some of course stand on the brakes for each camera then speed off afterwards :rolleyes:

I suspect quite a small proportion of drivers really understand the concept of average speed monitoring (present company excepted).

Having just read the thread on variable speed cameras it reminded me of a conversation I had with some friends over Christmas.
None of us knew anyone who had been prosecuted for exceeding the posted average speed limit. Does anyone on here know anyone who has?

My Brother In Law got done by the ones on the Sheffield Stocksbridge Bypass a couple of years ago for doing 74mph.

Being the plank that he is though, he got the ticket in the post, saw that it showed exactly the same speed on camera one and camera two thus stated that there was no way that he could possibly have been doing exactly the same speed to .1 of a MPH at both times and therefore the cameras must be faulty.

He contested this in court where it was explained to him that the speed shown IS THE AVERAGE SPEED between camera one and camera two and was promptly awarded with 4 points and a £200 fine :doh:

IME averaging cameras cause limits to be well observed by drivers.

However I've noticed that after initial installation they don't seem to get well looked after or realigned as roadworks cause traffic flows to be rerouted.

So combine these two factors and not many tickets issued because there are very few offenders and the cameras become inactive.

One might assume that they are normally a sufficient deterrent to keep TBTB happy. If that ceases to be the norm because drivers flout them then TBTB will presumably be more diligent in managing the cameras and increase the level of enforcement until it becomes a deterrent again..

I suspect quite a small proportion of drivers really understand the concept of average speed monitoring (present company excepted).

It's the word average...it's a maths thing so not needed anymore...innit..!

EDIT.
Just read this post. How fitting...

My Brother In Law got done by the ones on the Sheffield Stocksbridge Bypass a couple of years ago for doing 74mph.

Being the plank that he is though, he got the ticket in the post, saw that it showed exactly the same speed on camera one and camera two thus stated that there was no way that he could possibly have been doing exactly the same speed to .1 of a MPH at both times and therefore the cameras must be faulty.

He contested this in court where it was explained to him that the speed shown IS THE AVERAGE SPEED between camera one and camera two and was promptly awarded with 4 points and a £200 fine :doh:

My wife got flashed near Pontefract, can happen to anyone.

before the heart attack we did quite a bit of work on various york's m/ways with the camera's, one sure way of telling if the cameras are live is if you can see a small antenna on the top of the upright where the arm comes out, usually 1st and last in the roadworks are live with some inbetween depending on length of r/works and hazzard points,exit's etc,large percentage of the crossmembers are fitted with unconnected cameras, we use the A1 round catterick often and can go from one end to the other on the limiter,just watch the trucks that use the road daily they run ok during the night but are slowed up by the "ooo i'm doing 45 brigade " :wallbash: lol

I'd say 80mph is a fairly average speed.....errr...hosifer!

It's when they start checking people for mean, mode, median speeds that i'll be remotely impressed.

(watches google hits rise following this post)

In my own mature little way, I'd always thought it would be funny to fly through the first camera at 160mph and then stop in a layby for 5 minutes just before the next camera.

Or is that just me wanting to 'beat the system'?

In my own mature little way, I'd always thought it would be funny to fly through the first camera at 160mph and then stop in a layby for 5 minutes just before the next camera.

Or is that just me wanting to 'beat the system'?

We did that on a section of the A8 in France. Mrs E had organised some exotica from a travel contact in Monaco and we thought it impolite not to check out the performance (especially as the company owner came out for a run too). There is a section there that uses the toll tickets as a means of checking the average speed, so, utilising the local knowledge, we pulled over for a while before going through the booths. :D

I don't know if this is still true, or in fact if it ever was coz I'm not brave enough to try it, but I read that there is a flaw in the current implementation of average speed cameras. The article claimed they only work lane for lane and in pairs. ie The first camera pointing at lane 1 is matched with the second camera pointing at lane 1 which in turn is matched with the third in lane 1 etc. Your speed cannot be checked between the first and third camera, only between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Consequently if you change lanes between sets then they can't measure your speed at all.

Some of the people I see going through them way over the limit are definitely changing lanes like this and so I wonder if it isn't accurate.

Mind you, I read this article a couple of years ago with the announcement of a new system that didn't have this limitation. Shortly before many authorities got wise to the cost of running them and cancelled orders for any new ones.

Anyone know the facts or want to test it out? :)

I don't know if this is still true, or in fact if it ever was coz I'm not brave enough to try it, but I read that there is a flaw in the current implementation of average speed cameras. The article claimed they only work lane for lane and in pairs. ie The first camera pointing at lane 1 is matched with the second camera pointing at lane 1 which in turn is matched with the third in lane 1 etc. Your speed cannot be checked between the first and third camera, only between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Consequently if you change lanes between sets then they can't measure your speed at all.

Some of the people I see going through them way over the limit are definitely changing lanes like this and so I wonder if it isn't accurate.

Mind you, I read this article a couple of years ago with the announcement of a new system that didn't have this limitation. Shortly before many authorities got wise to the cost of running them and cancelled orders for any new ones.

Anyone know the facts or want to test it out? :)
Send me your number plates Burger and I'll happily give it a go! :D

Of course there is another way to beat them... Ride a motorcycle :)

^Aha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom