Average speed / fuel consumption poser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

br0ke

See if you can guess the difference in my average speed and reported fuel consumption from 2 near identical trips.

I left home on 2 Sunday night's 4 weeks apart at around 19.20
I had a 72 mile trip to my destination where I spent a little time and drove home again

I live 6 miles on town/city streets from a 3 mile section dual carriageway that feeds onto a motorway which I travelled 30 miles, then onto another dual carriageway for 20 miles. Good A roads for 10 miles then country lanes for last 2.

Traffic was very light on way there and non-existent on way back on both trips

First journey I tried to maintain 65mph from 1st dual carriageway. This involved more overtaking on the last section of A road.
Second journey I set CC at 58mph and think I came off it twice until I got to the last 2 miles. Very little overtaking required.

I passed the 100mile mark at the exact same point (funny that) on the way back

One caveat. The car was nearly empty on the 1st trip and got filled at my destination. On the 2nd trip it was nearly full from the start.

What was my average speed on each occasion
What was my reported fuel consumption

I thought it so interesting that I took a picture in each case. Sad - I know !!

The first one was 50mph and 50mpg in 2 hours. I had to get a photo of that.

The second trip was 48mph and 56.7mpg.

So going faster didn't really achieve much. I had much more overtaking to do and was stuck behind lorries for a few miles at a time.
Going at 58mph was very relaxing on the A road and there wasn't really anyone trying to get past, It was mega-boring on the motorway however.

How much different was the time on the second trip?

It easy to see why heavy goods vehicles are governed to 56mph.

Let me know how far you go and I will work out your average speed.

About 15 metres each way, a quick couple of laps of a sunroof frame with a paintbrush and back again.

Had to stop off for a refreshments break as well.

About 15 metres each way, a quick couple of laps of a sunroof frame with a paintbrush and back again.

Had to stop off for a refreshments break as well.

mmm tricky one.

I need to phone a friend..........if I had any.

I did 66 miles in 1 hour 18 mins with an average speed of 51mph and managed a 'heady' 23mpg... this car is gonna kill me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom