Aviva renewal up 20% - multi-car con. Exercise caution.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilsodg

Car
2011 S212 350 Sport with Brabus D6S, 2020 SLC43, 2000 SLK320
So we have 4 cars (E class, SLK, Q5 and Fiesta) on multicar with Aviva. No claims (ever), no convictions (ever), no circumstance change, or car change, but the renewal quote was up 20% over last year.

They flat refuse to do a price match or change their quote any way - just told me to shop around if price was important, and suggested I make sure to look at other 'Defaqto 5*. I did. Aviva quote was ~1250, AA and others at ~980, and Admiral (3* rating) come in at £680. I noticed that Aviva are wanting over 2x everyone else for the E-class (£500) - presumably due to the Brabus D6 box, so I called them back and asked why the change. No sensible answer but agreed to speak to manager/underwriter. In the interim I priced up my E-class with no mod on Aviva web site and it was 240. I challenged them on this only to learn that you cannot compare a stand-alone quote with a multicar quote because "in a Multicar the most expensive car will be inflated, and the cheapest 'discounted' so that when they apply the multicar discount, it is on a reduced low premium and therefore delivers less benefit." How sneaky is that? What he was saying is that the 500 on my multi-car renewal doc is not something that can be compared with the 240 stand-alone quote

I advise everyone to look carefully at their Aviva renewals and shop around. We have home insurance with them too, so I asked if they would consider a more competitive price rather than lose all my business. Nope. A classic case of customer loyalty rewarded with customer abuse.

I found that multicar works out more expensive than separate policies after year 1.

I also found my renewal quote from aviva this year was 300% more than the price from the insurer I ended selecting. Whereas for the past 4 years running they came out tops.

Car insurance is a weird thing indeed.

sounds like Aviva want to exit this area of the market doing so by raising price to make folks move

I've had one or two cars with Aviva for several years now, (longer if you count when they were NU). At renewal this year the price went up and they flatly refused any discussion on price. This is unusual, normally they will budge a bit, not this year though.

Car insurance is a weird thing indeed.

I think you have to treat it as a new type of competitive sport.

Aviva have insured our road cars on multicar and it halved my bill. In fact its the cheapest car insurance I've ever had on anything.
If they don't compare favorably at next renewal I shall just move on to a different company. They don't care about keeping customers? So what, I just move to the company that suits me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom