Avoid paying private parking tickets-a guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think this is a problem in Scotland.
Different laws here, far more civilised...didn't we invent laws along with everything else?
C.

Clamping is illegal in Scotland : it is regarded legally as extortion and was outlawed a number of years ago . Furthermore , under Scots law , signage has no meaning in law unless it can be proved that it was drawn to the attention of the 'transgressor' BEFORE any alleged transgression takes place .

Even down south , I'd take the view that if a clamp was fitted to my car it , legally , becomes part of my car ( just like a towbar , foglamp or any other 'accessory' bolted onto it ) and therefore my property . I can therefore remove the car on a low loader complete with 'my' wheelclamp , or remove it by any means I see fit ( I don't normally carry an angle grinder , but usually have things like hacksaw , socket set and a good selection of other tools ) . Just don't leave any 'bits' behind as that would be littering !

Oh , and some of the signage in those car parks prohibits working on cars , so the clampers would be breaking their own rules by 'working' or 'fitting accessories' to cars in the car park .

We are getting parking tickets from a company called UK Parking Company IIRC... i googled the name and all the advice was not to pay as they had no right to operate on public roads..

Maybe worth complaining to your local council , Jay , as they may not be aware these people are operating on 'their' roads ?

This was on Edgware road in london... my cousin has an office there and he says the people in his building get these tickets day in day out... they even sent bailiffs once but in the end they cant go anywhere with it.

I don't think this is a problem in Scotland.
Different laws here, far more civilised...didn't we invent laws along with everything else?
C.

There are plenty of private carparks in Scotland where these companies are contracted to provide some sort of 'service'. I've seen notices up on a business park. Aldi's use them at some locations.

There are plenty of private carparks in Scotland where these companies are contracted to provide some sort of 'service'. I've seen notices up on a business park. Aldi's use them at some locations.

Yes they put up notices, I think they might even stick a notice on your car...but that's it..
C.

Yes they put up notices, I think they might even stick a notice on your car...but that's it..
C.

No. They may also choose go after the registered keeper with a fake parking ticket as is the case down south.

No. They may also choose go after the registered keeper

They can do what they like, but they cannot make you pay.
Not one person has ever been taken to court for non payment by these companies.

They passed my details to a debt collection agency who I then reported to the Financial Services for harassment and the debt collectiors then sent me a letter stating that they would not pursue me any further.

Russ

They passed my details to a debt collection agency who I then reported to the Financial Services for harassment and the debt collectiors then sent me a letter stating that they would not pursue me any further.

Russ

have you checked your credit file?

Very useful, thanks. Got two tickets in the past week!!!

What about 'official' dvla clampers. Those not part of dvla (of course) but do their bidding.
I got a clamp on a vehicle that was sornd and on a private road.
I got to keep their clamp :) but also had to pay eighty quid to.

This article appeared on the BBC news website today. Perhaps a little light at the end of the tunnel....

Are you sure?
Perkins vs Thomas
It isn't a 'landmark' case since it's civil law but it proves it is possible for the parking companies to win. Most parking companies simply don't bother taking it past the threatening letter stage because the odds are stacked against them in court but don't believe that you can't lose in court.
have you checked your credit file?
It is impossible for them to affect your credit rating unless they win in court and you refuse to pay.

They are incorrect in that article. Clampers operate in NI as they do in England and Wales.

How can you stop unlawful parking without the threat of clamping?

I agree that some of the actions of these cowboy outfits intimidating car owners is bordering on the criminal. However, the other side of the coin is that landowners need to be able to stop people using their land as a free car park without consent. I live on a private road close to shops and offices and also close to two NCP paying car parks. This issue is about people who won't pay - not about those who can't. The council parking wardens do not patrol our area. We have a constant stream of motorists who think they are very clever to park free of charge on a private road, and it is only by the residents, who maintain the road, banding together to employ a warden to go round with warning notices that we are able to keep this under control. Only a few regular interlopers would diminish the amenity of the the road to those who live here. As far as I know the residents association has never clamped anyone (I don't think we even have a clamp to use even if we wanted to) but the threat of clamping seems to be enough to deter repeat offenders. So we need a solution that is fair and workable to both sides. For starters, the DVLA should only give data to licensed operators, who will need to work to a code of practice, and not to just anyone who states they have an interest.

Great thread this reminds me when I worked as an engineer for a well known national coal company. I was on night shift at a mine in South Yorkshire and got a call from the mine manager who had been clamped at the Lyceum Theatre in Sheffield. He just wondered if there was anything we could do to help. So I dispatched 2 fitters with cutting gear in a landrover who promptly cut off the clamp and then burnt it into lots of pieces to leave for the clampers to collect. Engineers 1 Clampers 0, we never heard another thing.

Scotland has the best idea clamping is illegal end of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom