Axe The Tax Plea On Fuel Duty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
In a letter to the Daily Telegraph, the Freight Transport Association and the Road Haulage Association have joined other organisations, including the AA, RAC Foundation and the British Chambers of Commerce, in calling for the planned April rise in fuel duty to be scrapped.

In the letter, the organisations say: "At 50.35p a litre, UK fuel duty for diesel and petrol is already the highest in Europe. Indeed UK diesel duty is double the EU average rate of 25p a litre. The Chancellor now plans to increase this by 2p per litre from April 1.
"Such an increase will generate further serious difficulties for the transport and forecourt industries, business drivers, those dependent on the car, and for businesses or individuals in remote or rural areas with no alternative transport options."

AA president Edmund King said: "Our analysis shows that the Chancellor has already bagged an unexpected windfall of more than £4 billion from motorists and the oil industry in the last 12 months and therefore even if he scraps the threatened 2p per litre increase, he would still be £3 billion better off. The record pump prices are already hitting those on low incomes, rural, disabled and many car-dependent motorists, so an extra increase would be unjust, unfair and unnecessary."

Come on Hawk - you know they MUST have this money to pay for all the useless projects we never asked for. Brown is like Blair; everything involves "important work that must be done" - not in my name thanks.

With all the other increases on gas, electricity, and food going through as well, inflation is really becoming a problem again. Could be a really sensible time to hold back on the tax increase IMO.

Whilst I agree I think the only way this shower would realise the harm they are doing, long term, is civil insurrection. Unfortunately we are too apathetic in this part of the world.

Is it just me that realises the negative effect on inflation of oppressive fuel duty??? :confused:
Everything in the shops gets there by road - and the cost of it all gets passed on to us (consumers/mugs?)

They must think we're stupid
rob

With all the other increases on gas, electricity, and food going through as well, inflation is really becoming a problem again.

January's inflation figures are due out any time now: Expect it to be around 2%. Methinks he doth fiddle the books somewhat. :rolleyes:

January's inflation figures are due out any time now: Expect it to be around 2%. Methinks he doth fiddle the books somewhat. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is his chosen measure: the CPI. But the traditional measure ( the RPI) and best one IMO, is running at around 4% per annum.

Yes, that is his chosen measure: the CPI. But the traditional measure ( the RPI) and best one IMO, is running at around 4% per annum.

The retail price index doesnt include the single biggest cost to us all. (housing)

The way I heard it this morning on the news was that the Freight Transport Association and the Road Haulage Association were calling for the chancellor not to increase the fuel duty for "Commercial vehicles" they did NOT request it for privately owned cars and in fact were pressing for a new 2 tier fuel duty with more favourable rates for their members.
How very Altruistic of them.:rolleyes:

The retail price index doesnt include the single biggest cost to us all. (housing)

How would you measure this? The increase in values? If so then expect to see massive rate rises when house prices increase by over CPI. The monthly cost of repayments? Then a rate drop is deflationary. The average monthly "rent"? In other words housing can NOT be used in inflationary measures...........so I am afraid housing as a measure is a spurious occurence....sorry.

You measure it in house price increases.

Surely it cannot be ignored if you are trying to work out true cost of living increases?

The way I heard it this morning on the news was that the Freight Transport Association and the Road Haulage Association were calling for the chancellor not to increase the fuel duty for "Commercial vehicles" they did NOT request it for privately owned cars and in fact were pressing for a new 2 tier fuel duty with more favourable rates for their members.
How very Altruistic of them.:rolleyes:

Of course, a two-tier tax system wouldn't get abused at all, oh no! :rolleyes:

Later on this year, the use of red diesel in motorboats comes to an end, unless it is for a commercial craft. You will see the big 45 and 50ft cruisers with fishing rod holders on the back so they can claim the duty as it is a commercial fishing craft. You will also see, under the same change of law, that petrol engined craft can also claim the duty back if it is a commercial boat. Now, with the RHA, why don't they push for the same exemption for their members. I know we could all of a sudden be driving in our own private taxis:D but I hope you get my drift. Oh and by the way, the annual fuel increase was introduced as the fuel escalator in either the tale end of Maggie's reign or certainly in John Majors bit. Because it was passed as an act of parliament, it can only be suspended, unless revoked by another act of parliament. Now, whatever your political beliefs, would you try to revoke a good money spinner in much the same way as the 15 to 17.5% increase on VAT to help pay for the poll tax, I think not, so we all collectively moan:rolleyes: :D

There is a Budget soon. And in that Budget will be many tax grabbing features because thanks to 10 years of vast overspending to little good effect the Government is skint.

Taxes, both direct and indirect, are only going in one direction: up and many will be dressed up in Green to justify it.

You measure it in house price increases.

Surely it cannot be ignored if you are trying to work out true cost of living increases?

'fraid so ...just because your house has gone up in value doesnt mean your cost of living has increased...

Oh and by the way, the annual fuel increase was introduced as the fuel escalator in either the tale end of Maggie's reign or certainly in John Majors bit. Because it was passed as an act of parliament, it can only be suspended, unless revoked by another act of parliament. Now, whatever your political beliefs, would you try to revoke a good money spinner in much the same way as the 15 to 17.5% increase on VAT to help pay for the poll tax, I think not, so we all collectively moan:rolleyes: :D

I think it's totally unfair to charge VAT ontop of fuel duty tax -- taxing a tax....

I think it's totally unfair to charge VAT ontop of fuel duty tax -- taxing a tax....

And do not forget you buy it out of income which has already been taxed.

And do not forget you buy it out of income which has already been taxed.
At least in France you can claim the tax back on travel expenses to your normal place of work.

How would you measure this? The increase in values? If so then expect to see massive rate rises when house prices increase by over CPI. The monthly cost of repayments? Then a rate drop is deflationary. The average monthly "rent"? In other words housing can NOT be used in inflationary measures...........so I am afraid housing as a measure is a spurious occurence....sorry.
Perfectly possible to include an average rent in proportion to the numbers renting and average mortgage repayments plus R&M for owners. Ludicrous to claim to measure anything approaching the 'Cost of Living' if you leave out housing which is one of the biggest costs and essential for all.

level playing field

One area I have sympathy with the beleaguered U.K. haulage industry is that they have to compete in the UK with European truckers who have filled up back home at a much lower fuel duty than here. Time for a customs levy as they drive off the boat/tunnel shuttle-- keep it simple just assume a full tank of fuel. ;) No doubt there's an EEC regulation to prevent this of course.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom