b a s , e s p , warning lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
driving my e320 yr 2000 on a drive today , about 30 mins into the journey the yellow lights came on and the abs visit workshop msg started flashing, now car still drove normally , brakes still worked.
I was 10 mins away frm where i wanted to be , so carried on , got back in car to drive home after the visit and no warning lights , again after about 30 mins into the homebound trip , they came back on again .
Now continued till i was nearly home stopped at supermkt to get some items , then gt back in car and hey presto they had vanished and all normal again ,no warning lights , any idea as to why or what this means ..

Wheel speed sensor or rings.

Be careful. In this weather with no esp. could be hairy !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Wheel speed sensor or rings.

Be careful. In this weather with no esp. could be hairy !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK
Thank you 4 quick response , just curious if it is what you have said it could be , why it appears intermttently , if there broken then the lights should be on permantly not occasionally ? cruise control still works with lights lit up .

You say it reappears after 30 minutes, do you think it could be coming on at a specific speed rather than after time? Or when going round a bend, pulling out of a junction etc.
I would be looking at getting a proper diagnostic to see which codes are present though my understanding of this system with this sort of fault would be that no codes will be present for the computer to read until the warning lights are on ie the fault wont be logged and stored.
You could try looking at each ABS sensor in turn, taking them out of the hubs giving them a good clean, and checking the reluctor ring on each wheel is clean and undamaged, the rear ones can be prone to failing due to rusting/damage and can be bought new quite cheaply from MB.

You say it reappears after 30 minutes, do you think it could be coming on at a specific speed rather than after time? Or when going round a bend, pulling out of a junction etc.
I would be looking at getting a proper diagnostic to see which codes are present though my understanding of this system with this sort of fault would be that no codes will be present for the computer to read until the warning lights are on ie the fault wont be logged and stored.
You could try looking at each ABS sensor in turn, taking them out of the hubs giving them a good clean, and checking the reluctor ring on each wheel is clean and undamaged, the rear ones can be prone to failing due to rusting/damage and can be bought new quite cheaply from MB.

just comes on wen im driving steadily then wen i stop and leave it 4 a few mins there not on and all normal

Also worth checking tyre pressures when wheel speeds are the issue.

Brake Switch ???

hi

I think I read somewhere about the brake light switch causing similar types of messages and all that was needed was to replace the switch .

I could be wrong though :D

regards

brendan

As above, I would go for the brake pedal switch, but get it checked first before you start replacing parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom