B class 160 sport auto doesn't feel quite right !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulandlouise

Car
B160 Sport
My wife recently bought a b160 sport auto - its 1 year old with 3k miles and sometimes it feels fine but other times it feels like it holds back or is jerky in acceleration - difficult to put my finger on it really - I'm sure when I test drove another one it did feel like this but it's now starting to annoy me - anyone with a b class out there feel the same - is it just a quirk of the cvt gearbox / engine these cars or is there something really wrong do you think - any common issues with these cars ?? Thanks :mad:

Hello

How do you mean....My wife has a CVT B class and we love it, just tap the go pedal and it goes. Instantly seems not delay like on my E class with a normal gear box?

Ours is a diesal and if anything a little slower to react when cold but thats the same again in my e class as its almost on choke...

Maybe take it back and have it checked?

Just feels like it holds back sometimes then feels a little jerky only just perceptible but enough to make it feel odd to drive - not all the time though ( typical) as it's a petrol it isn't blessed with power but is quick enough just beginning to think its me as my wife says it feels fine ...was hoping it was a quirk of the engine / gear box match .

Is it a manual or an auto? Sometimes the auto box, depending on who has owned it and driven it, takes time to learn the way a new driver drives it around so it may just be a case of loosening it up and having patience.

Yes it's an auto and was driven by an elderly gentleman I believe hence the really low mileage - we have done about 600 miles in it since we got it - 300 miles short trips (14 miles a day stop start and 300 miles all at once in a motorway trip)- didn't realise the gearbox adjusted to styles of driving - how long can it take to learn my style of driving ?

It can take a bit of getting used to the CVT box. Sometimes it holds the revs nearly constant and increases speed by gently upping the gearing. Your ear hears constant revs and thinks it is not accelerating but the speedo says you are. Could it be this?

If not I agree with A210 time for a check up.

CVT gearboxes can feel a little strange if your coming from a regular torque converter Automatic

Is there a way of reseting it?

I thought there was?

Doesn't take long. Just go out for a brisk drive.

By the way the suspension also adapts to how you drive. Drive hard and it stiffens up. Drive gently and it softens. Adaptive damping is standard.

My wife has an A180 CDI with a CVT transmission. It suffers with exactly the same thing. Particularly, under hard acceleration it can be very jerky. It actually slipped out of gear twice on me, so I took it for a repair. The garage changed the metatronics unit and now it's improved but is still occassionally jerky. It has also fixed in a particular gear a couple of times. Taken it back to the garage, but they can't find anything...

My wife doesn't really notice it, but I do and it is annoying. It is definitely a CVT thing (the auto on my C32 is fantastic). Won't be buying a CVT again!

My wife doesn't really notice it, but I do and it is annoying. It is definitely a CVT thing (the auto on my C32 is fantastic). Won't be buying a CVT again!

It is not a CVT thing. I've owned two A180cdi' s with the cvt box and a B200cdi with the CVT box and they were all as smooth as silk. Actually even smoother than the box on the S class. You clearly have a fault which they should put right.

^ Have to agree

Our CVT box is just like one big gear, you don't even notice it change.

In comparison my E class is clunky and you certainly feel the gear changes.

I think you must have something wrong? what sort of miles are they on? They need the ATF changed at around 4 year / 40K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom