B Class auto rolls back on the hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OceansUpHigh

Car
Mercedes B Class -B 200 SE CDI
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can offer me any advice/suggestions on this nagging problem I have with my car. I bought a 2010 Reg B Class Automatic(Mercedes B 200 SE CDI)a few months back from Cardiff Mercedes dealer.
A few days back I noticed it rolls back on hills if you ever have to apply break and then move your leg off the break pedal. It holds for 4-5 seconds, then it starts rolling back. I didn't check this in my test drive, unfortunately. As far as I know it should never roll back whether the surface is slightly hilly or steep. Do anyone know if this is a common problem or is it the normal behavior for this model? I had a VW auto before this car and it used to hold on any hill . Can this problem be fixed? Can anyone give me some advice please?

Thanks

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can offer me any advice/suggestions on this nagging problem I have with my car. I bought a 2010 Reg B Class Automatic(Mercedes B 200 SE CDI)a few months back from Cardiff Mercedes dealer.
A few days back I noticed it rolls back on hills if you ever have to apply break and then move your leg off the break pedal. It holds for 4-5 seconds, then it starts rolling back. I didn't check this in my test drive, unfortunately. As far as I know it should never roll back whether the surface is slightly hilly or steep. Do anyone know if this is a common problem or is it the normal behavior for this model? I had a VW auto before this car and it used to hold on any hill . Can this problem be fixed? Can anyone give me some advice please?

Thanks

Do you have your auto box in 'W' or 'S' mode (or what ever the letters are on a B class auto box) i believe if you have it in W (winter/comfort) it starts in 2nd gear every time and wont roll backwards but if you have it in 'S' mode it starts in first gear and is capable of rolling backwards on a steep hill. I may be wrong.

Have never had an Auto that rolls backwards all mine creep forwards unless on a quite steep hill then they just stand still

Have you got the CVT auto as I believe they do roll backwards

Last edited:
My better half has a 54 plate Audi a3 2.0tdi with dsg auto box.

It rolls back on a hill but only about 2ft maximum before the clutch bites and a little less in S mode. Audi must do it to, hope that helps.

Don't know if this is relevant but that is exactly how it works on my Kia, and that is how it is supposed to work.
Seems a bit strange - you would think that it should hold until you move forward, but as I say, that is how the manual says it works.

Ted said:
Don't know if this is relevant but that is exactly how it works on my Kia, and that is how it is supposed to work. Seems a bit strange - you would think that it should hold until you move forward, but as I say, that is how the manual says it works.

My sons pug 107 used to roll but he now has a Kia Picanto and that doesn't.

Many many autos roll back..relax and enjoy he ride. Just because there are those that don't does not mean you have a problem.

Sorry, I wasn't taking about hill start. I was talking about a situation when you have to apply break and stop the car, may be due to traffic. If you lift the leg off the break, it starts rolling back. The car is a fully automatic, not semi. I always drive in 'C'(comfort) mode.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't taking about hill start. I was talking about a situation when you have to apply break and stop the car, may be due to traffic. If you lift the leg off the break, it starts rolling back. The car is a fully automatic, not semi. I always drive in 'C'(comfort) mode.

See post#7.

B Class (W246) B200 manual. 2012.

Mine does all that auto brake stuff. VERY handy for getting your foot onto the correct pedal especially with steep hills etc. Only lasts a few seconds though, and goes off automagically if you apply drive to the wheels.

No more of that dexterity with two pedals and one foot that I grew up with!

You have the first generation of B class if I am not mistaken. Those had only Hill assist . THe new W246 has Hold function where if you press the break and release then it goes into hold and will not move unless you press the accelerator petal

So nothing wrong with your car in my opinion

TG

You have the first generation of B class if I am not mistaken. Those had only Hill assist . THe new W246 has Hold function where if you press the break and release then it goes into hold and will not move unless you press the accelerator petal

So nothing wrong with your car in my opinion

TG

That's right. There was no Hold function on the previous B Class, only the few seconds delay to dispense with the need for the handbrake on hill starts. Your car seems fine to me.

These modern cars are fitted with a handbrake, could try using that :D I have a B180 and it rolls back, so I use the handbrake, it's not as though you have the same braking as some other Mercs, with a foot handbrake, as good as they are.

Or use both feet. One on the brake and one on the throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom