B Class buying/spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gadgetmaster

Car
E220 W211, CLK 240 W209, MG Midget, Skoda Yeti (when my wife lets me borrow it)
Well, after 10 years of happy driving, my wife has just written off her beloved A190 LWB avantgarde :( A real shame, as she bought it at just 2 years old, after the original owner got fed up of ticking the options list...it had EVERYTHING!
I have trained her well,and she intends to stick with Mercedes for her next purchase.My question is, which one?
It will definitely be post-2008, but is a post-2011 worth the extra? Should she stick with an SE,or go for a sport?What exactly would she get extra if she went for the sport? In particular,we want automatic transmission,cruise control,auto dim rearview mirror, With folding mirrors,leather and heated seats an ideal.She does get claustrophobic,so which version if any, come with a sunroof as standard? Anything else we should particularly look out for in a prospective purchase?
Many thanks in advance for any help and advice from owners past or present.

Thanks Abb, we would both love to go for another a class to replace her W168. The only issue is that we need more rear seat legroom because of carrying her mother , who has notable mobility issues. Hence, we need the extra rear legroom of the B class.
I have driven a couple of B 200 SE variants when my E has been in for service and was quite impressed. Just seemed to be lacking a little in the toy department for my tastes. I have located an earlier B180 (2010) sport that seems tempting, but not sure whether I should be looking at a later model, or a better spec'd SE. with so many advertisers not giving full specification of the cars, it would be useful to know what is standard and what extra on both variants.

I'd definitely recommend staying with the pre 2012 models, anything from 2009-2011. I think you're spot on with the B180 BlueEfficiency - diesels are a bit gruff and noisy and B160 is a touch feeble.
For an overview try here: Putra Borneo Nusantara Indah - Autorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer - The B-Class Sports Tourer
When you find a car you like the look of on-line, enter the reg. here: https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/login/index This will (probably) give you the WDD. If you enter that here: https://www.vindecoderz.com/ you'll get a rundown on what the car had on board when it left the factory. Good hunting!

I have a W245 B180 CDi SE and have had it for 7 years. The 17" wheels make the ride a little harsh, but we have got used to it. We've just past 109k miles and regards repairs, a new CV joint and air con condenser is the only major items. Average fuel consumption is around 38mpg with best at just over 53mpg on a trip down to Cornwall. We were lucky when we bought ours, it came with Comand, nappa leather seats which are very comfortable.

As regards riding in the back seat as a passenger, I usually have to do this when my daughter visits so she can get in the front with mother :( (read chat) resigning me to the back. It is spacious I am overweight and over 6 ft and it is easy to get in and out.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Your list of essential options is exactly what our W246 B200 SE Exec Auto has. Look for one built early 2015 and it will have all those options (and more) as standard. MB seem to make regular changes to their options and package lists, so the brochure that covers ours is MBW246PL/1114 dated Nov 2014. PM me if you'd like me to email you a PDF copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom