B Class.....Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
I am currently looking at replacing my fathers 2005 S320 cdi with something smaller and began looking at the B class. Doesn't seem to be a mass amount of info on these models, just wanted to know if anyone has any real life/ownership advice, buying tips, variants to avoid etc.
A little bit of info to help.
Father is 73 and went from driving a VW Polo to the S class about 18 months or so ago. Wouldn't have ordinarily bought such a car for my father, it was just my best friends father had owned it since new and it is immaculate, so I gave him what the garage was offering him part ex for it at the time (£5K). As much as my father loves it, its just too big for him. So I am currently looking for something smaller (but sticking to the MB brand) and am considering a B class or possibly an A class for around the £5k mark. Theory is, sell the S class and if needed top up the pot to £5k and buy the replacement.

Have been told to avoid the A class and look at the B, but there seems to be limited info on the B and plenty of horror stories surrounding the A, of that era.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

No offence to B Class Owners but I recently had the use of a 17 Plate B180, it was like driving a very old style Transit!:dk:

Drank diesel, wallowed on corners and was rather noisy (Engine, Drive Train and Road noise)! :(

Have been told to avoid the A class
Why ?????
My wife has had her W169 - 2011 - for over 5 years and 50,000 miles , hasn't put a foot wrong, serviced regularly, new front and rear pads , new front discs and that's about it. Seems to have loosened up around 45k and now does 50+ mpg regularly.It's an A180 cdi manual.

I changed from an S320 to a B180 W245 a few years ago and I have not regretted it. Yes, you loose a little on comfort, but I have the sport edition. For us older folk it is easier to get in and out of, being a little taller than the S Class.

If you are going for the W246, get the B200 not the B180 on the diesel engined versions, I know nothing of the petrol engines, but the B180 diesel is, I believe, a Renault unit and a little harsh. The B200 is the 2 litre diesel and imo a better tried and tested unit.

Any more info send a PM and I will gladly offer my advice.

I have had a 2012 200CDI Sport Automatic (W246) for three years. It now has 47, 000 miles on the clock and no problems so far, touch wood! A hot hatch it is not but it's versatile, quick enough for an old codger like me and I find the ride OK. Very easy to get in and out of. The ride is a trifle hard but it is the sports model with 18" wheels. Even so, I regularly do 200 mile journeys in comfort and can still get out and walk around at the end of them :D

The previous B Class was a very close stretched relation to the previous A Class, so being told to avoid one and not the other doesn't make sense.

Pretty refined, good ride if you avoid big wheels and ultra low profile tyres, nice interior, CVT auto box is good and gives few problems despite the reputation. And as you say a comfortable raised driving position.

Some fairly cheap ones around now.

The replacement W246 (2012 on) you wouldn't get for your budget anyway but when loaned one I found it joyless and wooden with a lumpy ride.

The previous B Class was a very close stretched relation to the previous A Class, so being told to avoid one and not the other doesn't make sense.

Pretty refined, good ride if you avoid big wheels and ultra low profile tyres, nice interior, CVT auto box is good and gives few problems despite the reputation. And as you say a comfortable raised driving position.

Some fairly cheap ones around now.

The replacement W246 (2012 on) you wouldn't get for your budget anyway but when loaned one I found it joyless and wooden with a lumpy ride.

Agree with you about the previous B Class which along with the w169 A was under-rated IMO. I was hoping to transfer to W246 B when my A gives out. But it is lower and not suitable for my other half who has mobility problems, and I also found that the ride was poor.

When I got rid of the Golf and wanted an extra, smaller car than the E class for pootling around I looked hard at the B-Class. Very nice, rather underwhelming car. Nothing to criticse, nothing to excite.

But it's weak on equipment and over-priced compared to just about anything else so I ended up with a Grand C-Max Titanium X with all the toys. Great value for money but it squeaks, it rattles and the driver's seat has fallen apart twice due to poor design of the plastic trim. Stepping out of it and back into the Merc is like going beyond the curtain to the front end of the aeroplane.

Its replacement later this year will be either the new CX-5 from Mazda or maybe the VW Tiguan. It won't be a B-Class and it'll be a cold day in Hell before I get another Ford.

When I got rid of the Golf and wanted an extra, smaller car than the E class for pootling around I looked hard at the B-Class. Very nice, rather underwhelming car. Nothing to criticse, nothing to excite.

But it's weak on equipment and over-priced compared to just about anything else so I ended up with a Grand C-Max Titanium X with all the toys. Great value for money but it squeaks, it rattles and the driver's seat has fallen apart twice due to poor design of the plastic trim. Stepping out of it and back into the Merc is like going beyond the curtain to the front end of the aeroplane.

Its replacement later this year will be either the new CX-5 from Mazda or maybe the VW Tiguan. It won't be a B-Class and it'll be a cold day in Hell before I get another Ford.

My experience is very different. We also have a CMax TitaniumX auto and find it very good. No rattles or issues and the auto is very smooth. I would highly recommend but I still prefer my C class for the hold function and stop start in particular. But my wife loves the raised seating position which seems to be the highest out there.

Our B200 is now 2 years old and has been a gem. We're in our 60s and find it easy to get in and out of, it has masses of legroom in the back with a good sized boot. It is comfortable and quiet on a long journey when fuel consumption is in the mid 60s while doing local runs, it's about 50. We would recommend the B200 diesel automatic with the SE trim (better ride quality). Don't know why MB don't promote them more.

Last edited:
Why ?????

Apologies, I think it was the W168 A class they were referring to.

I guess judging by the mixed responses, either the A or B would be fine, as long as its the 2.0 SE diesel version?

We had a B180d Sport Auto from 2012-2016

We thought it was a belting little car. The higher driving posision makes it very easy to get in and out of. Something that the A Class can't offer.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove an early version (hire car for a business trip in Germany maybe ten years ago), takeaway for me was quite practical, but quite dull to drive. I didn't become a fan. The newer version looks like a number of other practical cars, I'm still not a fan.

Apologies, I think it was the W168 A class they were referring to.

I guess judging by the mixed responses, either the A or B would be fine, as long as its the 2.0 SE diesel version?

With the model you're looking at, the B180 and B200 CDi have the same 2.0 litre engine, just in different states of tune. (109 vs. 136 BHP).

The SE has a better wheel/tyre combo for a better ride.

The 1.5 litre Renault engine came in much later in the current B Class and is in my opinion a cracking engine, quiet, smooth and punchy. Tried one in a new A Class with the DCT gearbox and it was great.

Another benefit of the older diesel B/A Class is that a DPF was not fitted until about 2008. Find one without in nice condition and it should run and run.

One other thing that put me off the W246 B Class is that the SE on 16" alloys doesn't have electric folding mirrors. To get that you have to get the Sport version with an executive or premium pack or some such, which has 17" wheels, which do not help the ride. Possible they might swap the wheels to 16" but knowing MB I doubt it.

I have an A200 petrol coupé CVT in sports configuration - larger wheels and factory lowered suspension, with a pretty good spec and a few upgrades...

I really like it - no complaints about the ride quality (and that's on 18" AMG wheels), although I do have wider tyres fitted - Goodyear 225/40 instead of Conti 215/40 originals - a noticeable improvement in handling and comfort, and the speedo is spot on now :thumb: It's reasonably nippy when needed, particularly in S mode, which I now use most of the time, except for in-town short journeys, of course.

No offence to B Class Owners but I recently had the use of a 17 Plate B180, it was like driving a very old style Transit!:dk:

Drank diesel, wallowed on corners and was rather noisy (Engine, Drive Train and Road noise)! :(

I drove a 15 plate B for a couple of weeks and a 65 plate B for 3 weeks and have to agree. Very smart interior, albeit a little cheap feeling compared to my C.

High seating position and posture, it did feel like a little van.

One other thing that put me off the W246 B Class is that the SE on 16" alloys doesn't have electric folding mirrors. To get that you have to get the Sport version with an executive or premium pack or some such, which has 17" wheels, which do not help the ride. Possible they might swap the wheels to 16" but knowing MB I doubt it.

Our B200 SE has folding mirrors included with the Exec package from late '14 to mid '15. Seems that MB like playing mix and match with the options - we were just lucky that all the options we wanted came together at the time we wanted to place an order. The attached is from the Nov 14 B Class brochure.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 11

Our b180SE that we got New in June 2014 has electric folding mirror as it was an option at the time
The b180 is a nice car and the 1.6l petrol engine is surprisingly nippy and quiet at the same time. I could not be happier with the choice we made for my wife's car
Also the previous car the a160/w169 Avangarde was a fantastic little car on its own right so when we replaced it it stayed within the family. My mom and dad got it and so far they had almost 3 years of enjoyable ownership. It's small and spacious at the same time and provides comfortable and easy to drive position making perfect for them as they get older
A good late w169 petrol should be an excellent choice for the fellow forum members dad

Theo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom