B Class gearbox issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronsterchan

Car
C350e Estate
Took my wife's B180 out yesterday and suddenly had a gearbox issue on the motorway. It flashed up a message saying something like reverse gear not available and should go to the workshop, even though we were driving at speed at the time. Then I noticed it was only using 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. Very strange and very scary on the motorway.

We were closer to our normal service centre than home, so we drove it straight there. When we got into the car park, sure enough, car would not go into reverse.

However, after about 15 mins when the man came to try, it just worked, so perhaps car needed some kind of reset. However we decided to have it checked out as it was quite a scary experience.

Car was just over 3 years by 30 days, so was just out of warranty, but not high mileage. They charged me £275 to run some tests and "update" the software :crazy:

From my understanding, if there is a software "update" available there's probably known problems, if that is the case, should I be charged? He also confirmed that there was no mechanical failure!

Has anyone else had similar problem? Is there someone at Mercedes UK I can complain to and perhaps get my money back?

Yes, we had the same problem in my wife's B180 when driving through France nearly 3 years ago. The car was less than 2 years old, one of the first with the new DCT.

We were driving through the night in poor weather so I limped on to our destination rather than call a rescue.

In the morning the car had reset and never misbehaved again on the trip.

We took it into the dealer in return, for the software update.

In your circumstances I'd also be well annoyed and expect it free of charge.

Yes the software is probably all that's wrong.
We had one 2 days before Christmas break.
After update it was a completely different drive

Assuming the car has always been dealer serviced and done on time , I'd be inclined to complain first to the dealership , and if no joy there , to MBUK customer relations suggesting that this is a known issue and a bit of goodwill would not go amazing amiss .

I have this warning regularly it happens usually as i stop and put the car into park and the engine warning light comes on. Every so often i can start the car and the light comes on again. It doesn't effect the car at all but it's damn annoying. E300 hybrid 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom