B Class ordered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theogeor

Car
B180 SE (w246), A160 (W169) Avantgarde, Porsche 911 (997 C2)
We have been looking to replace our current A Class (w169 A160 2011 Avantgarde ) and after careful consideration we ordered a new B class (W246). We did compare it with the current A class the GLA the CLA etc and the conclusion was clear. The B class is by far the more spacious and more practical as a family car. My wife will be able to use it as her daily driver mostly in Greater London but at the same time will be a good family cruiser for longer trips (my 911 is not good when you need luggage)
Choosing the right options is another challenge. While the sport looks better the SE has a better ride so we chosen that. Also engine is a big Q. Diesels are attractive but with less than 10K miles a year the B180 made more sense especially taking into consideration that my wife does a lot of short trips during the school run and most of the other moms with new diesels had issues with the DPF. Also personally I love the sweet petrol noise (or no noise)
So at the end we went for the B180 with the following options
1. Luxury Package (Artico leather)
2. Luxury climate dual zone control because the wife WANTS IT
3. Mirror package because the wife wants it
4. Table/armrest for rear (request from kids)
5. CC (for the European trips we like to do )
6. Red because the wife liked it

Basically my wife would not accept having less things that her current car so the 1,2,3 was a must) . And with a good discount been secured I could not be happier

Estimate delivery is end of May... I am looking forward to it... Always love the idea and the smell of a new car...

Theo

Good choice with the petrol version, the DPF will only cause trouble for your expected mileage per year.

Should be a good car, even got some input from the kids.

I too have been pondering the new B Class - but so far have done nothing about it. I would like to ask Theo for his assessment of its ride quality. Some reviewers have expressed reservations, even about the SE's everyday comfort. This would especially interesting to me as I would also be moving from W169 A Class top the new B, so a comparison of the two would be helpful.

I am also quite interested to see what VW produce by way of the new Golf Plus which will go on sale this Summer, but would prefer to stick with MB, all things being equal.

What's this DPF issue that I keep seeing it mentioned?

What's this DPF issue that I keep seeing it mentioned?

Diesel particulate filter, a device to so say stop pollution, and your engine if you cover low miles. :D

My B Class is just coming up to its second service. (2 years) It is red, B200, diseasal. I'm really glad I got it.
I spend most of the year pottering around SE London, with only the occasional blast down to the Cotswalds or Duxford etc. I have no noticeable problems with the DPF at all.

I have the largest diameter and normal width tyres, and they are fairly comfortable. They grip and turn well. Speed bumps can be a bit crashy, but if you stick below 15mph they are OK.
It is noticeable that the car has become a little noisier over the nearly 8000 miles it has covered so far.

The proper HID lights are well worth while despite the cost.

I have been kicking my self ever since I got it because I did not ask for the reversing camera option, I blame the silly girly who runs the disabled people desk. Seemed to know all about texting continually but very little about cars.
Really hard to work out what options are available in what combinations, especially with a dumb girly.

The reversing lights are REALLY bad for going backwards in the proper dark, despite turning lights on, indicators etc. Big fail from MB.

Pity MB put such a crap satnav on it...(Becker Map Pilot)
Hint, don't let it read anything out to you, you'll either fall about laughing or take a hammer to it. Turn all that sh1t off!

Otherwise its a GREAT car. Vastly superior to the Scenic I had before, and even better than when I had a Mk1 C-Max.

Gonna have a much more full year this year, a trip down to Antibes, followed by a trip up to Isle of Skye...

P.

Just discovered something else that would require a leap of faith from an oldie like me - no spare wheel!

Pity MB put such a crap satnav on it...(Becker Map Pilot)
Hint, don't let it read anything out to you, you'll either fall about laughing or take a hammer to it. Turn all that sh1t off!/QUOTE]

Funny I have a Becker Map Pilot in my car and having had a Comand in my previous Merc I wasn't sure what to expect. The actual sat-nav compares well with Comand, sure they both have their strengths and weakness's but as a satnav it is performing well and has never let me down. If I had the choice to be honest I would be happy with either

rhud said:
Just discovered something else that would require a leap of faith from an oldie like me - no spare wheel!

Very few new cars have spare wheels I am afraid. My neighbour just got a brand new Jaguar XF and when I had a look at it there was no spare tyre.... From what I have seen most have either have run flats or pump and repair gel .. So we went from a full size wheel to space saver to no spare....

Theo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom