B Class Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theothers

Car
SLK350, C320CDI, Fiat 500c (soon to be gone!) and Smart Roadster, plus a Fireblade :-)
Hi All.

My Folks are thinking of getting a second hand 180 Diesel, does anyone know of any problems with this car and what is a real world MPG? The brochure says 47 MPG which seems high to me.

Thanks

R;)

I have a petrol C200K and average 32mpg around town. Over 40 on a good run.
So 47mpg from an oil burner would seem very achieveable indeed. I would expect a tad more actually. Nearer to 50 (depending how heavy your right foot is) would be possible. I have it on good authority that a gently driven diesel A Class can extract up to 70 miles from one gallon.

Last edited:
We have an A180 Auto which tends to average around the 50 mark. It rarely goes below 45 and regularly sees 55+.

Last edited:
check the rear door hasnt rubbed through the paint just above both the rear clusters - can cause rust, obviously covered by warranty, but hopefully the recall would have been done before it got too bad. good cars otherwise. MPG is true too.

Have not found any particular problems yet with our B-class, but would advise to check jack/chock/toolkit are present.
These can be found behind a cover located in the rear nearside wheel bulkhead, which can only be accessed by folding the rear nearside seat forward.
It is not a very obvious place so can be missed!

I had a B class for over 5,000 miles -the B200cdi- and like the two A class I now have it was easy to get at least the MB claimed 'combined' figure on a run.

MB claim 52.3 for the auto A class and we can get that on a run if we cruise at or near the legal maximum.

The B class 200cdi had a combined figure of 47 IIRC and we got that easily. Collected it from the factory. Avery intersting and worthwhile trip.

My brother regularly gets over 60 mpg on a run from his manual A160cdi.

Make sure there is no sign or evidence of clutch drag or problems. The CSC (slave cylinder) has been known to leak and it's a major job to renew it.

Dear Dieselman,

Excuse my ignorance,,, what would be a surefire sign of clutch SC leak?

I have two sis-in-laws that have B200CDIs. One of them had a broken front coil spring the other day ...

But then she is overweight :D

We have an A180 Auto which tends to average around the 50 mark. It rarely goes below 45 and regularly sees 55+.

My 1st post. I've had exactly the same car A180 diesel auto (for 2 weeks) but the trip computer is only showing average of 30mpg since last reset, strictly urban motoring at the moment though!

Might be worth a quick look at the Benzworld Forum - there is a W245 B group over there discussing pluses and minuses. Here's the link:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245-b-class/1360545-b-class-common-problems-their-solutions.html

It has to be said that the threads on that site are slightly tedious, with not a lot being said over many posts; even to me as a B owner! Also, from the accumulated threads, there are not that many problems on balance. It sounds like they might be getting a little hung up on the rear brake disc appearance problem, particularly as most braking is done by the fronts anyway....

Last edited:
I was told that due to the engine configuration of the A and B-class being under the chassis, there are quite a lot of otherwise routine maintenance jobs which take much longer (ie. an expensive vehicle to service and maintain) and require taking out the engine in some cases :eek::eek:

how true is that? :confused:
this will definitely sway for or against me going for the b180cdi...

Last edited:
My 1st post. I've had exactly the same car A180 diesel auto (for 2 weeks) but the trip computer is only showing average of 30mpg since last reset, strictly urban motoring at the moment though!

the one i had for 3 weeks wouldnt go above 38 :O

Hi All.

My Folks are thinking of getting a second hand 180 Diesel, does anyone know of any problems with this car and what is a real world MPG? The brochure says 47 MPG which seems high to me.

Thanks

R;)

Youre C270 will wipe the floor with the 180 cdi engine in the real world for performance and mpg.

Thank you Dieselman for your reply.

Is this something related to the water pump only or to other items regularly serviced? (ie. the need to take out the engine for routine B-Class maintenance)

The engine does not have to be removed for routine servicing like oil/spark plugs/filters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom