B-class (W245) rattle in overhead console

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terrycufc

Car
B200
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the overhead console (above the rear view mirror) on a B-Class comes off? I have an annoying rattle from somewhere inside it.

I suspect it needs a carefully positioned screwdriver to lever it off, but any clues as to where the screwdriver should be put would be appreciated so as not to break off clips and make it either not fit, or rattle even more.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi all,

Does anyone know how the overhead console (above the rear view mirror) on a B-Class comes off? I have an annoying rattle from somewhere inside it.

I suspect it needs a carefully positioned screwdriver to lever it off, but any clues as to where the screwdriver should be put would be appreciated so as not to break off clips and make it either not fit, or rattle even more.

Thanks,

Terry

There are two clips holding it at the rear. Insert a blunt (preferably plastic) instrument to release the clips about 4" apart.

Thanks Alfie.
I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Cheers,

Terry

I got the console off OK by using an old credit card to wedge between the housing and roof lining then a quick twist and off it popped. 5 electrical connectors go to it...about 4 more than I expected!
Anyway I think the rattle was caused by the map reading light switches (made of hard plastic) vibrating in their housing.
A small piece of sticky back foam carefully positioned at the base of the actuator stops the movement but allows the switch to operate correctly.
All back together, now need to find out if that was really the cause!

Thanks for the help,

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom