B Class W246 broken rear spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinallcars

Car
B180, SLK 230
B Class failed it’s MoT on a broken rear spring, MB quoting £350 to replace it. I’ve done this job on a W203 before so decided to have a go, it’s even easier! All that’s required is to jack it up, remove the wheel, undo and remove the lower shock absorber bolt and the bolt holding the suspension arm to the hub. Lever the arm down (hand pressure was enough) and lift out the spring. I noticed some corrosion on the upper spring mount so removed the rubber pad and applied a couple of coats of Hammerite. Put the new spring in and reverse the process - done in under an hour. I’m going to replace the spring on the other side so that they match.
B6390B5A-E98A-4255-9578-A8C9A666683E.jpeg
B46B6B8B-BCF7-4C59-9C83-34A5A850C0D3.jpeg
89E8C845-617B-4774-B9EF-747A9794CB0E.jpeg

Well done , A lot of dosh can be saved by having a go yourself . In my opinion the older the car the more it's worth having a look at a problem with a DIY plan in mind.

Especially when the problem is clearly visible . I appreciate many do not have the tools, confidence or even the space to work on their own cars . But if you have all 3 , give it a go. :thumb:

sorry to bring this one back up .my 2013 180cdi b class has 2 rear springs broken,my question is are the springs the same through the range or different for different models.found a pair on ebay new for 50 pounds both.how do i know if i have sport suspension or not

sorry to bring this one back up .my 2013 180cdi b class has 2 rear springs broken,my question is are the springs the same through the range or different for different models.found a pair on ebay new for 50 pounds both.how do i know if i have sport suspension or not
Your car is exactly the same as mine by the looks of it. It has the sports pack which includes the sports springs, the electronic parts catalogue also describes it as avant-garde suspension. You should be able to find the part number from here

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/locate?c=Mercedes-Benz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom