B Class W246 Front Coil Spring Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinallcars

Car
B180, SLK 230
In common with many others on our pot hole ridden roads, I had a front spring break a few days ago. The first problem was sourcing a replacement, there were no aftermarket items available in the UK - a combination of demand and Brexit I was told. Mercedes were able to provide (at twice the price) but, in fairness, it arrived from Germany in just two days. I also felt comfortable just fitting one as I was confident it would be an exact match, I’d have done both if using aftermarket.
The next issue was would my spring compressors do the job, they couldn’t on my old C Class which resulted in a trip to my local garage. The good news was the they were able to compress the spring sufficiently and disassembly/reassembly was straightforward, job done in two hours.
As an aside, I used to use mister-auto for parts such as this as they stocked a wide range from quality manufacturers, shipped from the EU. When I tried this time there was a message stating that they were unable to trade at the moment, a casualty of Brexit perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom