B Class (W246) specs deciphered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ssldn

I'm at the early stages of buying a B Class, and am struggling to find some answers so thought it best to ask on here ...

B Class W246 launched in 2012, and it seems there was a significant facelift in 2015.

Between 2012 and 2015 some models have different displays in the instrument cluster, does this suggest other difference?

BP740927P12.jpg

BP741440P12.jpg

The 1.8 diesel was dropped in the B200cdi, for the 2.148 diesel but still called B200cdi and same outputs.
Previously models were SE and sport. Now there are SE, Sport and AMG line.
Steering wheel has also changed. SE now has artico upholstery as standard.
Many other changes as well.

Have recently purchased a B-200 sport petrol auto with premium plus pack through CARWOW. Done a mere 500 miles, ask away, John.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Regards the specs - the above cluster pics both relate to the W246 Sport, pre 2015 facelift. Why are they different?

Here are links to the cars, are there other difference I have not spotted?

Used Mercedes B180 1.8 CDi BlueEFF Sport 5 Dr Hatch Diesel at cargiant LD62J.

Used Mercedes B180 1.5 CDi BlueEFF Sport 5 Dr Hatch Diesel at cargiant LO14E.

So ... I think I have got a grip on the engines available now. I've had VAG diesels for years now, so am swaying to the CDI over petrol.

The B180 was a 1.8, then changed to a 1.5.
The B180 was a 1.8, then changed to a 2.1.

Any thought or comparisons?

i'd be surprised if that top cluster is a diesel, going up to 8k rpm.
The lower one is more likely diesel stopping at 6k.

i'd be surprised if that top cluster is a diesel, going up to 8k rpm.
The lower one is more likely diesel stopping at 6k.

Good spot, a typo from me.

The top cluster should be this one. (I couldn't see how to edit the original post?)

BP746526P12.jpg

The B class has recently had major changes, look at the full spec. The CARWOW.CO.UK site is a very good research vehicle, look under "Browse cars" and will answer many of your queries. If you are low mileage don't buy a diesel and if buying second hand don't buy the model shown in your 1st photo. john.

The top picture redlined at 6200 rpm Gerald?

The B class has recently had major changes, look at the full spec. The CARWOW.CO.UK site is a very good research vehicle, look under "Browse cars" and will answer many of your queries. If you are low mileage don't buy a diesel and if buying second hand don't buy the model shown in your 1st photo. john.

Thanks John. I've managed to get a grip of the recent (2015) changes, it's the 2013-2014 ones that don't seem to make much sense. Out of interest, why do you say not to buy the first one?

It looks like that main difference is the introduction of a colour TFT multi screen display in the middle. The other one is just a mono multi screen. Hence what you're seeing besides the colour is improved graphics display as well.

It looks like that main difference is the introduction of a colour TFT multi screen display in the middle. The other one is just a mono multi screen. Hence what you're seeing besides the colour is improved graphics display as well.

Do you think MB would make just that change though? I think that is the only change on the cluster, but I also can't spot any other differences on the cars they're from (apart from the TFT display) ...

I've spotted another change - does anyone know where I could obtain a comprehensive list, in case it includes anything significant?

Uncovered vs Covered ashtray cover ...

BP746526P11.jpg

BP756933P11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom