B-Class - Where to Plug Phone In?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HwoPdw

Car
B180
I've just taken delivery of a 2014 2nd hand B-Class with an Audio 20 system in it. I can play music via bluetooth but would ideally like to plug the phone (iphone 4s) in for a better sound quality.

In the centre storage bin under the arm rest there is:

1) a usb slot that I believe can only be used with a USB stick to play mp3s, or maybe an old ipod. Not tried this yet but will hopefully give it a go with a usb stick tonight. I tried plugging my phone into this with a normal (non Merc) lead and it is not recognised (as expeced from reading other posts).

2) What looks like a 3.5 jack point next to the USB slot.

What's confusing me is the car came with three big black Merc leads that appear to be 30pin Media Interface leads toi: one female USB, one iphone, one 3.5mm jack.

I can't figure out where the hell the 30pin of these leads plugs into. Can't see anywhere in the central storage bin or glove box where these plug in to.

Am I missing something obvious?

Hi
I suspect your car does not have Media Interface, and they have accidentally included the Media Interface lead set. If it had Media Interface it would not have that AUX socket.

This means you can not plug in your iPod. BT Audio streaming is the only option.

Depending on which Audio-20 you have, you may be able to have Media Interface retrofitted. I say maybe because not all Audio-20 have the fibre-optic connector on the rear for the Media interface (etc).

(we've done a couple of A/B class retrofits where people have bought COMAND with DVD changer and not realised that comes without Media Interface, whereas single disk COMAND did come with Media Interface).

Cheers

Richard

Richard thanks for you response - a couple of questions?

1 - When you say aux socket do you mean the 3.5mm jack which is next to the usb? If so what can i connect via that?

2 - Using the usb am i limited to just a usb thumb drive with mp3s on it or could i use a small ipod?

1) You could get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm plug->plug lead and plug in the iPhone via it's headphone plug

2) Yes USB drive only, Audio-20 won't understand the iPod

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom