B Service required CLK - any way to delay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
So,

My CLK flashed up "30 days to Service B". Having just recently accepted a pay cut, this was not music to my ears!

I've read that the most likely reason is that it's been 2 years since the last service, that could be true, I need to check the books.

Just making sure it's not something like low oil etc?

I was planning on selling the car in the summer, so shelling out £250+ wasn't on my radar.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
R

Change the oil, reset the ASSYST indicator? Not ideal but keep the receipt for the oil & filter and at least it looks like a service has been done.

Personally, not what I would do but if you're strapped for cash.....

Change the oil, reset the ASSYST indicator? Not ideal but keep the receipt for the oil & filter and at least it looks like a service has been done.

Personally, not what I would do but if you're strapped for cash.....

Hmm, will have a think...thanks.

Well the service indicator is just doing it's job - it's asking for a service as it needs one. Don't see the point in resetting it if the service isn't done, just leave it asking for a service as it should do. It won't affect how the car drives or anything by leaving it indicating that it needs doing.

If you sell it needing a service then expect slightly less, likewise if you have the service completed it should attract a very slightly higher price and would make the car more saleable :)

All IMHO of course.

Will

^^ Good point well made.

Pay for the service and instead of going on a luxury break in Wales, stand under a cold hose outside while listening to male voice choir music. You'll get just the same enjoyment. :)

I once was told that a litre of oil would add another 1000 miles to the service due reminder.

Not tested and yours is saying days rather than miles but MIGHT be worth a go.

(You'd be buggered if the oil was already full or even overfull though)

FYI I'll be taking the car for a B Service this weekend, and changing the ATF.

I'm off to Chester for a long weekend, and so it's booked in with none other than Mr Ian Walker.

FYI I'll be taking the car for a B Service this weekend, and changing the ATF.

I'm off to Chester for a long weekend, and so it's booked in with none other than Mr Ian Walker.

Good move1

Well the service indicator is just doing it's job - it's asking for a service as it needs one. Don't see the point in resetting it if the service isn't done, just leave it asking for a service as it should do. It won't affect how the car drives or anything by leaving it indicating that it needs doing.

If you sell it needing a service then expect slightly less, likewise if you have the service completed it should attract a very slightly higher price and would make the car more saleable :)

All IMHO of course.

Will

I agree with this.

I recently looked at a very nice highly speced C55. Service indicator said 10,000 miles to the next service. Service book said last one was done 12,000 miles ago which was backed up by STAR ;) I contacted the previous owner who told me he had traded it in with 35,000 on the clock a few weeks earlier and it needed a service in about 3,000 miles. Car now has nearly 41,000 on it! I mentioned to the trader that it needed a service and someone had reset the service indicator to which they shrugged their shoulders. Car also needed new disks and pads (ouch). I walked away. Shame as it was a lovely car in the right colour combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom