B-service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally got round to calling a few dealers for servicing our ML270 CDi.

Exactly the same pattern of events as described above. The two most local dealers - one MB Retail one MB Franchise - were both unhelpful and unwilling to do a deal. Tell a lie, MB Retail said that if I find it cheaper elsewhere then they'll see what they can do - too late, lost the sale.

I've spent many many thousands with the other unhelful dealer - they changed their service front end staff, and relationships appear to count for nothing. Very strange.

I've only used the dealer I've refer to as "My Usual" for about 18 months, and it's part of the same Franchise Group, but they seem to want to do business. Even stranger!!

So here are the scores on the doors for the ML270 CDi:

Most expensive (an MBUK owned MB main dealer): £464
A-Service: £240
Air filter: £90
Coolant: £134
Negotiated a further discount: £NIL

My usual (franchised MB main dealer): £315
A-Service: £200.99
Air filter: £53.20
Coolant: £76.27
Negotiated a further discount: £15.46

Other (franchised MB main dealer from a different group): £414
A-Service: £249
Air filter: £65
Coolant: £100

Supplying my own oil will reduce the price further. I only asked "My usual" about how much it would reduced by and he said it would be about £250 if I supply my own oil.

No prizes for guessing who I placed the booking with...

Cheers Bobby Dazzler!

The A Class requires a B service this month.
The dealer tells me the additional such as brake fluid, fuel filter, air and dust filters need to be changed.

I have been quoted the following prices from the dealer (which include parts and labour):
Brake fluid £80
Dust filter £43
Air filter £43
fuel filter £65

Is it possible to have these done independently and still have the service book stamped by the dealer?

I will also be supplying Mobil 1 (from Costco) saving me approx £40 where the dealer wants to charge £15 per litre.

I will also be supplying Mobil 1 (from Costco) saving me approx £40 where the dealer wants to charge £15 per litre.

The dealer have previously told me that they just need evidence that the work has been undertaken within an appopriate timescale - an invoice for parts only or parts and labour should suffice IMHO. Best check with your dealer though.

So here are the scores on the doors for the ML270 CDi:

Most expensive (an MBUK owned MB main dealer): £464
A-Service: £240
Air filter: £90
Coolant: £134

My usual (franchised MB main dealer): £315

Other (franchised MB main dealer from a different group): £414
A-Service: £249
Air filter: £65
Coolant: £100

Supplying my own oil will reduce the price further. I only asked "My usual" about how much it would reduced by and he said it would be about £250 if I supply my own oil.

The service was completed today, and these were the prices quoted at the time of booking:

My usual (franchised MB main dealer) quoted: £315

And this is what I ended up paying:

My usual (franchised MB main dealer) invoiced: £189.81
A-Service: £113.54 (including screenwash & oil filter but excluding oil)
Air filter: N/A - fitted myself, see below
Coolant: £76.27 (including coolant)

Additional costs incurred: £61.26
Air filter: £15.26 (fitted myself)
8 litres Mobil 1: £46.00 (supply only)

I realised when I got home that I'd lost the "further discount" of £15.46 that I negotiated on the phone, because by supplying my own oil and supplying & fitting the air filter myself it was no longer an all in-cost rounded down to £315. I don't like wasting money, but I'm happy with the overall cost.

Total cost of service £251.07

The air filter and coolant changes are classed as "additional items" and are due for replacement every 2 years (or 31,500 miles) and 3 years respectively.

I almost forgot: Fitting the air filter on the ML270 is easy if a little fiddly. You just need to disconnect the cable from the MAF for access (squeeze and pull), and move some of the flexible piping to remove the air box lid.

You need an star socket to remove the top of the air box on the facelift W163 though which isn't a standard fitment in most socket sets. I think it was an E10 socket that fitted. I believe earlier pre-facelift cars used spring clips instead.

I hadn't got one so I bought a set of 6 Halfords Professional star sockets - they're used all over the place on modern MBs and so I figured it a worthwhile investment.

Hi folks,

My 52 plate ML320 (W163) is going in for 75k 'B' service tomorrow at independant in nottingham

What can i buy myself to make the bill a little easier

Oil? - what kind?
Filters?
Plugs?

Nurofen.

:D

Seriously, oil is probably the only thing which is worth looking at yourself. Check with the indie first though, as they might not like/accept you providing your own.

Are you going to MB on Lenton Lane?

Last edited:
Hi folks,

My 52 plate ML320 (W163) is going in for 75k 'B' service tomorrow at independant in nottingham

A Kia:0

I believe it is on Lenton Lane

opposite Warhammer?

I have used them a couple of times, but I am still not sure about them. For all their claims, I'm not sure they end up being any noticeably cheaper than the official stealers round the corner.

Please let me know how you get on with them!!!

Hi folks,

Oil? - what kind?
Filters?
Plugs?

Oil - Mobil 1, but if you rely on Halfords or similar you won't save much. Costco is cheapest if you're a member.

Filters - Depends which filter is actually due (fuel, air, cabin). To be fair you don't save anything on the parts by supplying your own (unless the garage screws you!!) but you can save on the labour. Cabin and airfilters can be done DIY but I wouldn't do the fuel filter - I get the dealer to do it.

Plugs - Spark plugs UK - Champion, Denso, NGK spark plugs and Magnecor leads are cheap but at short notice you may struggle. Again if relying on Halfords you won't save much unless you fit them yourself.

Brake fluid and coolant change may also be due if not changed recently.

Maybe too late now but I've heard positive things about the main dealer in Chesterfield and they've been joint cheapest when I've shopped around before.

Ok, I asked my local MB dealer how much to service the ML270 CDI.

B - Service
Oil and Filter change
Labour - £427.80
Parts - £47.74
Oil - £128.95 (7.5L)
Total - £604.49

Brake Fluid change
Labour - £57.04
Parts - £12.40
Total - £69.44

Air and Fuel filter change
Labour - £114.08
Parts - £29.27
Total - £143.35

What happened to fixed priced???

They look like MB Retail prices - not one of the MB London outlets is it?

You need to drive further North. If you want I can introduce you to a very good service advisor in the Midlands.

Yes it is MB Watford. I am London based. I thought MB were offering fixed priced servicing with a B-service at £399.

They did say that I could supply my own oil.

On your ML has it ever said A-service and then changed to a B-service? My car reads 4700 until A-service, although I am wondering if it will change to a B-service when it gets a little lower.

Please could you pm the advisor's details to me, I may just ring them to ask their advice with regards to the servicing. Although knowing MB they may say everything is essential.

Yes, it's switched from A to B several times, somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 miles to go!!

Do you think mine could do that? Cheers for the pm, I appreciate it.

Is it advised against servicing the vehicle when it still says 4700 miles to go? Should I just wait? Shouldtn't the miles have changed to days yet? Its been 18months since the last service and the ML is only driven at weekends.

It will probably switch a month before the two year point then.

There is a good write up in mercedes enthusiast stating that merc have/are bringing there prices more in line with the indies to compete on servicing i from experience would tend to agree..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom