B180 CDI Fuel Economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snoop51

Car
MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
I have the pleasure of a B class 180CDI auto as a loan car for a couple of days. Having just done the same journey to work with cruise set @ 75MPH I managed to achieve 46MPG. The same journey in my car W212 350CDI same speed 42MPG, I was expecting a lot better from the B class. Quite shocked really. Plus I'd much rather be in the E than the B much to like driving a van and noisy for my taste.

My B180 CDi averages about 46mpg over a full tank of very mixed driving although I seldom get up to 70 (+5mph headwind) for any real length of time. I can reliably see 50mpg on the computer (not actually checked it as it's so much better than the 17/18mpg I used to get in my Impreza it still feels like excellent value) on my 26mile drive to work if the traffic isn't stop/start on the M77.

You know, it is a little rough and noisy but it serves me quite well and is a doddle to drive with the CVT box. I think the issue is that it's relative bulk means it works the 109 bhp lump really quite hard at times, especially so at higher speeds when climbing. In comparison with what I'm sure is a very torquey, larger engine in the E-Class it's probably left lacking at times. Equally, it's a boxy lump to be pushing down the road at 70(+ headwind) down the motorway with heaps of front surface area.

I'd swap mine for an E-Class (if I could afford one) in a heartbeat but until my income doubles it's a little cracker of a family motor that gives me an MB shaped smile.

Hello

I think your right on a run they will be very similar (cruise on motorway) difference is if I just pop out in the wifes to a shop etc and only do a few miles it still says over 40mpg.

Do the same in the E class and its on mid 20's.

Your right thought as my dad with his 320cdi was always amazed when ever they give him a loan car, A180cdi, C200Cdi etc etc they don't actually do any better mpg.

Saying that I love driving our B class, with the CVT its very very very smooth compared to my 5 speed auto E class. I also like the slightly higher up driving style. Different cars for different things really. But if we had just one car a B200Cdi with lots of goodies I would be happy with.

Hello

I think your right on a run they will be very similar (cruise on motorway) difference is if I just pop out in the wifes to a shop etc and only do a few miles it still says over 40mpg.

Do the same in the E class and its on mid 20's.

Your right thought as my dad with his 320cdi was always amazed when ever they give him a loan car, A180cdi, C200Cdi etc etc they don't actually do any better mpg.

Saying that I love driving our B class, with the CVT its very very very smooth compared to my 5 speed auto E class. I also like the slightly higher up driving style. Different cars for different things really. But if we had just one car a B200Cdi with lots of goodies I would be happy with.

Nipping to shops = low to mid 30s in the E350 but then I tend to walk most of the time unless it's absolutely hammering down.

Now someone has said it's a CVT box I understand why it's quite juicy. CNH started to fit them to tractors as they do less damage to towed equipment and they can be programmed to run with loads of torque (juicy) or very little torque (light on the fuel) if you have the software. Tractors with CVT boxes can be adjusted in the cab as you are driving. However if you set them up to mimic the standard auto box then they use about 20 - 30% more fuel. These were very sophisticated electro / hydraulic boxes which I assume is what is fitted to the B class not like the old DAF box of the 70's, 2 cones and an elastic band.:D

As to very smooth yes it is but then so is the 7g box in the E350, the difference is obviously when you put the hammer down in the 350 it knocks down a cog or 2 and goes, the B180 just slips the drive, shouts louder and holds onto the revs forever until you lift off the accelerator. I guess I like cogs and gears rather than chocolaty smoothness in the CVT.

I am still shocked by the fuel economy on a run though. I used to be able to achieve 42MPG in a 1.8 petrol Zafira 10 years ago, I expect more from a diesel. I think they would achieve better figures with a normal auto.:thumb:

^ I would think a manual would do near 60mpg.

Compared to my 5 speed E class the gearbox is very good in the B Class. Too be honest you have one of Mercedes latest engines in the E class against one thats been out for a while in the B class.

I completly understand though as my dad was the same why have anything smaller than his at the time E320cdi as that can do 45mpg and its big, comfy and quick.

Before we bought the B class we had a Manual A class the 2.1 evo version and my wife would get over 40mpg out of that. The best I have seen driving the B class was 59mpg coming back from Annecy in France on an A road at 50 - 60 mph. That was loaded with 2 adults, children and luggage for a two week holiday.

I wonder if the gearbox as you say can be programed differently? I've also considered a tunning box for it as they reckon on 10-15% better fuel.

Overall though as a package the B class is great, wife loves it, feels like a 'big' car comapred to the A class and looking at Golfs, Audi A3's, BMW 1 series etc when buying it for us it ticks all the boxes.

Overall though as a package the B class is great, wife loves it, feels like a 'big' car comapred to the A class and looking at Golfs, Audi A3's, BMW 1 series etc when buying it for us it ticks all the boxes.

So we're agreed then. It's a woman's car:D I generally drive the E class quite gently, I just like the ability to be able to overtake pretty much when I want.

Just been discussing this with 3 work colleagues, who have 2 XF diesels and an Audi S3, all of us have bought them last year, all of us have stepped up from a lesser car & all of us have found after the initial new toy syndrome that we drive more sedately than when we had smaller engined cars.

I just wonder what I would get out of the even newer E350, I have seen 47MPG out of mine around the M25 @ 70MPH on a clear run which is damn good for a 3 litre diesel.

I guess the B class is just not my cup of tea anymore but then my kids are of the age when going out with Mum & Dad is not good unless it involves free food & alcohol. I'm toying with the idea of downsizing just not sure what to go for.:dk:

Yes its the wifes car, but I don't mind driving it at all...but then I have the old E class S211 not the new one so maybe the 'gaps' not as different..

I agree that with the quicker cars I have owned I actually drive slower :) Maybe its growing up... I have no real need to rush around and anyway with the kids in the back it only makes them feel ill.

DOn't get me wrong once the spogs are big enough to climb in and put a seatbelt on I will be looking at a convertible for her (we both had them before sprogs) and then I can have the family bus and also have something nice for the weekends.

I guess from the reviews of the new gearbox the new one (E350) must do over 50mpg which for its size and performance is very very good.

Can't comment on the 350cdi, but I do have a 250cdi with the new 7 g tronic plus. With this, I am currently getting over 60mpg on the motorway, and averaging 58mpg on a typical run. Doubt if the 350 will achieve that!

Agreed on the 'once the kids are old enough to climb in and belt-up' then I'll buy something more exciting but it serves it's purpose well.

So we're agreed then. It's a woman's car:D I generally drive the E class quite gently, I just like the ability to be able to overtake pretty much when I want.

Just been discussing this with 3 work colleagues, who have 2 XF diesels and an Audi S3, all of us have bought them last year, all of us have stepped up from a lesser car & all of us have found after the initial new toy syndrome that we drive more sedately than when we had smaller engined cars.

I just wonder what I would get out of the even newer E350, I have seen 47MPG out of mine around the M25 @ 70MPH on a clear run which is damn good for a 3 litre diesel.

I guess the B class is just not my cup of tea anymore but then my kids are of the age when going out with Mum & Dad is not good unless it involves free food & alcohol. I'm toying with the idea of downsizing just not sure what to go for.:dk:

I've noticed I am more sedate in this car than its predeccessor, despite this one being a lot quicker and more nimble. The sports pack transforms the 211.

Downsize, well, a C class would work well or even a golf/1 series BMW. Anything smaller is not in my book safe to have a knock in or be comfortable driving for substancial periods of time.

Can't comment on the 350cdi, but I do have a 250cdi with the new 7 g tronic plus. With this, I am currently getting over 60mpg on the motorway, and averaging 58mpg on a typical run. Doubt if the 350 will achieve that!

Xenon see above although mine is a 7 g tronic NOT plus. I'm pretty sure the newer ones achieve more than this but not 58MPG. There again they sound soooooooo much nicer than 4 cylinders:D:D

Hi Snoop51

Well, it's true (if you believe the on board computer) that I have now achieved two runs getting just under 58mpg. Do appreciate that I am currently running it in and driving very gently and steadily. Doubt I will achieve this when I start driving normally!! Most of these runs include a lot of motorway, as well. The "plus" auto box makes a huge difference to fuel economy, and it is now nearer a BMW in that respect than previously. You're right that all autoboxes on the "fours" should have always had a 7 speeder which I believe is now the case for all of the W212s. Everything is sooooo much smoother......in this new model

Having owned an E Class, an S Class and now the B180CDi, yes the B is not as frugal as it should be, however, we have just returned from a holiday with friends, 4 adults 4 suitcases of standard size, which all fitted in the boot, and that would not have gone into either the E or S unless the E was an estate or one of the cases was placed on the rear seat between passengers. IMO the B is more a fun car than a tourer.

Having owned an E Class, an S Class and now the B180CDi, yes the B is not as frugal as it should be, however, we have just returned from a holiday with friends, 4 adults 4 suitcases of standard size, which all fitted in the boot, and that would not have gone into either the E or S unless the E was an estate or one of the cases was placed on the rear seat between passengers. IMO the B is more a fun car than a tourer.

The boot must be huge if you can get 4 adults and their cases in their. :)

B Class boot capacity 544litres E class saloon 540litres. Not that much in it really. You allow people to much luggage LOL:D. Suitcases? soft bags are much better in car boots IME. I've never filled the boot to capacity even with 4 adults, unless taking food as well, even with an 18 yr old daughter. Rule of thumb in our house if you can't carry your own luggage in one go without the aid of wheels then it's too much!:D

Back to the B class though. The redeeming feature for me was the consistent 40 + MPG even on the commute to work of 10 miles mostly country lanes & town driving, whereas the E struggles to better 36 MPG if I'm very gentle. I really, really couldn't get on with the CVT box though and lack of acceleration was too much of a loss too.

All in all I'd have considered one with a manual box when the kids were smaller and money was tighter but now, I'll take the E class every day.:thumb:

B Class boot capacity 544litres E class saloon 540litres. Not that much in it really.

Does depend on the shape of the boot. The E Class rear window comes down low so only enough height for one case laid flat, so although it has the same or similar capacity, there is a lot of wasted space. When looking for a replacement car, one of the factors was the ability to take four suitcases, I had already owned an E Class estate, the C Class was too small, and I was very surprised that the B coped easily. We are talking four 60+ year olds here who normally cruise from Southampton or fly from Heathrow so smaller fold up type luggage is not really an option particularly with one suitcase only on flights:D.

Does depend on the shape of the boot. The E Class rear window comes down low so only enough height for one case laid flat, so although it has the same or similar capacity, there is a lot of wasted space. When looking for a replacement car, one of the factors was the ability to take four suitcases, I had already owned an E Class estate, the C Class was too small, and I was very surprised that the B coped easily. We are talking four 60+ year olds here who normally cruise from Southampton or fly from Heathrow so smaller fold up type luggage is not really an option particularly with one suitcase only on flights:D.

I see your dilemma, teenagers are so much easier to deal with than the nearly retired. :D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom