B180 diesels. 1.5 or 1.8? Which is best and how to tell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Knuckle

Car
2017 Audi S5 3.0T // 2019 Mercedes A200 AMG Premium
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Mercedes B class sport, most seem to be 180ds.

I'm looking at 2012 to 14 age manuals, but in getting really confused with the engines.

Wikipedia and other sources suggest there is a 1.5 and a 1.8 variant but I'm struggling to understand how to tell the difference (in for sale adverts). Auto Trader shows displacement but not sure if it's accurate.

So I guess question 1 is when did they change it / what models is related to each engine? How do I tell?

Second is, which do I want? They seem to have similar outputs. I may consider adding a tuning box or a remap at a later date too.

The titles of some that I've saved so far have either cdi or cdi blue efficiency.

Third question is there are a few 200d in budget. Are these mechanically different to the 180d or can they be remapped to 200 levels?

First Mercedes so thanks for any input you can provide!

Bump, anyone ?

The 1.5 is the OM607 engine. The 1.8 is OM 651.

The 1.5 has the same power output, but slightly more torque.

I haven't had both engines, but had the 1.5. I managed to squeeze 95mpg over a 10 mile stretch on the motorway. I've had it in manual and auto too.

If you've not had an auto before, please test drive one before getting a manual. There's a reason nearly all Merc are autos. :thumb:

Oh, info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merce...generation_.28W246.2C_2012.E2.80.93present.29

The 1.5 is the OM607 engine. The 1.8 is OM 651.

The 1.5 has the same power output, but slightly more torque.

I haven't had both engines, but had the 1.5. I managed to squeeze 95mpg over a 10 mile stretch on the motorway. I've had it in manual and auto too.

If you've not had an auto before, please test drive one before getting a manual. There's a reason nearly all Merc are autos. :thumb:

Oh, info: Mercedes-Benz B-Class - Wikipedia
hi we have just bought a 3 year old 1.5 CDI/auto we are getting 35 mpg urban around town is this reasonable not had it on a run yet to judge

The B180 with a 2litre engine is the W245 and the smaller engine is the newer W246 model. The B200 in the W245 is basically the same engine as the B180 but with a different map and slightly different mechanics. The B200 in the W246 is I think a 1.8 engine.

Later B200 diesels have the 2143 651 engine which is another variation but with the same outputs as the 1.8 B200.

FWIW, If you're going for a pre-owned B, I would suggest a 2015 B200CDI with the 2.2l 651 is the best of the bunch. Plenty of power and torque and really nice to drive, especially if you get the DCT auto. The RFL is £20 per year, insurance is gp15 and MPG in the mid 60's. Unless you are really set on the Sport, with its run-flats, lower suspension and much firmer ride, try the SE (if you can find one).

The OM 607 is a Renault built engine and has a timing belt at the "front" of the engine whereas the OM651 is the ubiquitous Mercedes built 4 cylinder diesel in FWD form with a single row timing chain at the rear [ transmission end] of the engine . Neither are particularly simple to work on being shoehorned into a transverse engine compartment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom