B180 Fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart1

Hi guys, its now a week since I picked it up, fuel consumption is only 388miles avg speed 25mph 37.8mpg, really disappointed, usual driving motorway and town, no outlandish speeds.Used to 42mpg from a Saab 93SS 2.2TDi.
Will it get better?

Hi guys, its now a week since I picked it up, fuel consumption is only 388miles avg speed 25mph 37.8mpg, really disappointed, usual driving motorway and town, no outlandish speeds.Used to 42mpg from a Saab 93SS 2.2TDi.
Will it get better?

You have it in C or S? C makes a sizeable difference

our petrol A170 does better than that!

Doesnt sound right...

Our B200 CDI has averaged 42 Mpg over its lifetime.

Give it a chance to bed in first....it will start to ease up over the first 10,000 miles and you should start to see fuel consumption improving as the miles go by.

Just a word of advice, don't drive it too gently otherwise the rings won't seat properly and it might take longer for the engine revs to get into the proper operating range, thus efficiency sufferes.

Give it a drive it like you stole it session then see if it's any better. Find a steep hill and floor it all the way from the bottom to the top to really heat the bores, not high revs just full load.

Just a word of advice, don't drive it too gently otherwise the rings won't seat properly and it might take longer for the engine revs to get into the proper operating range, thus efficiency sufferes.

Give it a drive it like you stole it session then see if it's any better. Find a steep hill and floor it all the way from the bottom to the top to really heat the bores, not high revs just full load.

Dieselman, I am a gentle driver and have driven my cars so from new although my wife does 'floor it' now and again. Would it still help to drive them as you describe?

Dieselman, I am a gentle driver and have driven my cars so from new although my wife does 'floor it' now and again. Would it still help to drive them as you describe?

Definately. Driving on too light a load causes bore glazing and the rings to not seat properly so loss of compression due to blowby.
Take it out for a good thrashing.;)

My car is showing an average 39.2 mpg over 31,000 miles C320 cdi. Best I have ever had (driving very carefully) is 48.9 mpg.. Mind you that is assuming the computer is accuarate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom