B180 - lack of throttle response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnantz

Car
B180 Manual
I've bought a used B-class manaul 1600cc (2018) with 2000 miles . I'm very happy with the car except one thing and that is sometimes when driving slowly upto a junction or roundabout and you need to accelerate away quickly ( perhaps fast approaching vehicles ) the car will not accelerate off as you would expect. It seems to hesitate to respond to the throttle , even when you panick and kick the throttle a bit more , then suddenly it will respond and surge off ??? I think it does it sometimes as well when travelling at speed but I don't notice this as much as I'm not a particularly fast driver. I've taken it back to the dealers in York but they say there's nothing wrong, it's because it's a 1500cc and get a more powerful engine. This doesn't make sense as I can use the paddle gears if it happens and accelerate perfectly . I think it's dangerous and potentially could cause an accident. Can anyone advise please .c

It sounds as if it's an auto? They can sometimes be a little hesitant; does yours have a 'dynamic' or 'sport' setting, if so try that.

It sounds as if it's an auto? They can sometimes be a little hesitant; does yours have a 'dynamic' or 'sport' setting, if so try that.
Thanks Tony for your response. It's a manual gear box. I did try in 'sport' and 'comfort' drive mode but didn't feel any difference to throttle response.

Built in drive by wire throttle lag .
you mean instead of conventional throttle cable ,these modern cars have equipped with electronic chips to control throttle. but how do we fix these so called throttle lag?

Hi John . I am confused , it's a manual box (with a foot clutch) but it has paddle shifters as well ? I have driven a manual one in the dim and distant past but don't Rembert any paddles . Am I missing something here ?

Hi John . I am confused , it's a manual box (with a foot clutch) but it has paddle shifters as well ? I have driven a manual one in the dim and distant past but don't Rembert any paddles . Am I missing something here ?
Apologies Pete. It hasn't got any paddle shift.

Is this the turbocharged petrol engine?M270 E16? Sounds as if you are "off boost " for a second or two ---- if its a variable vane turbo maybe its sticking?

or later models

Last edited:
I should have added that the size of engine should have no effect on the power delivery- the ultimate power available yes but not how its delivered-should really have very little power lag on a modern engine if its working correctly.

I've bought a used B-class manaul 1600cc (2018) with 2000 miles . I'm very happy with the car except one thing and that is sometimes when driving slowly upto a junction or roundabout and you need to accelerate away quickly ( perhaps fast approaching vehicles ) the car will not accelerate off as you would expect. It seems to hesitate to respond to the throttle , even when you panick and kick the throttle a bit more , then suddenly it will respond and surge off ??? I think it does it sometimes as well when travelling at speed but I don't notice this as much as I'm not a particularly fast driver. I've taken it back to the dealers in York but they say there's nothing wrong, it's because it's a 1500cc and get a more powerful engine. This doesn't make sense as I can use the paddle gears if it happens and accelerate perfectly . I think it's dangerous and potentially could cause an accident. Can anyone advise please .c
My wife has one and complained about the same thing. Takes a bit of getting used to but you could also install one of the throttle responce devices. It is more responsive in S mode and pulls off in 1st instead of 2nd gear.

Is this the turbocharged petrol engine?M270 E16? Sounds as if you are "off boost " for a second or two ---- if its a variable vane turbo maybe its sticking?

or later models
it's a W246 Class B 180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom