B200 CDI Sport suspension upgrades/ alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommerc49

Car
B200 CDI Sport (W245) / A200 Turbo Manual (W169)
OK so anyone who owns one of these cars will know that the suspension is very unforgiving...
I've owned many cars over the years with sports suspension (standard or aftermarket), but this cars standard setup really takes the biscuit.
So I'm now looking into alternatives.
Don't get me wrong I like the look that this 'lower' suspension adds to the car, but handling-wise I am sure it's not as good as it could be and given the rough ride this standard setup gives off I think it's time for a change.

I can't however justify the (almost) £1k price-tag for a set of coilovers, which are seemingly only made for this car by one company (H&R): Mercedes Benz B-Klasse (W245) Typ 245G, 2WD, bis/ up to 1100kg VA-Last/ FA load Years: 2012> H&R COILOVERS Lowers car by: Front 30-50 mm Rear 40-60 mm
It just seems a lot of money to spend on a setup that I am not even sure if I'm going to like.

So this leaves me with a few of other options...
1) Replace the standard springs (which I believe are Bilsteins), for a new set of Bilsteins. Demon Tweeks appear to list two types of 'standard' springs for this car, one of which being the B3's. Problem here is that I'm unsure which of these springs my car actually has on it, and what different the other would offer. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/standard-springs/car/mercedes-benz/b-class/2009/2-0td-138

2) Replace the springs for a set of Apex, Eibach (or another brand) for between £100-£200: MERCEDES B-Class (Diesel models) (Typ:W245) From Years: 06.05- APEX LOWERING SPRINGS Lowers car by: 30 mm

3) Replace the shocks and springs with a kit like this Bilstein one for around the £500 mark: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ...pension Kits&***id=CLvC_M7Pq9QCFWUz0wod5EYJ1A

Any suggestions/ advice/ general input?
Does anyone even know how much lower these standard springs are over the stock springs on non-sport models?
I'm a little worried that if I go any lower than it is now, that I may end up with wheel clearance issues (car is fitted with 18" wheels which i believe are standard on this model) and I'd rather avoid arch rolling.

Surely there are alternatives out there which offer better handling with similar (or even improved!) comfort??

Can't really answer any of your questions, but this one:

Does anyone even know how much lower these standard springs are over the stock springs on non-sport models?

It's 10mm - I have a C169 with sports suspension and 18" AMG wheels too.

I can calculate the stock springs markings for my car, but it would be different for any other, as even things like a/c, CDC and subwoofer add points, not to mention heavier diesel engine...

Even though I'm quite happy with the ride quality, I still would be interested in the mod you're planning, and the result.

OK so anyone who owns one of these cars will know that the suspension is very unforgiving...

I've owned many cars over the years with sports suspension (standard or aftermarket), but this cars standard setup really takes the biscuit.

So I'm now looking into alternatives.

Don't get me wrong I like the look that this 'lower' suspension adds to the car, but handling-wise I am sure it's not as good as it could be and given the rough ride this standard setup gives off I think it's time for a change.

I can't however justify the (almost) £1k price-tag for a set of coilovers, which are seemingly only made for this car by one company (H&R): Mercedes Benz B-Klasse (W245) Typ 245G, 2WD, bis/ up to 1100kg VA-Last/ FA load Years: 2012> H&R COILOVERS Lowers car by: Front 30-50 mm Rear 40-60 mm

It just seems a lot of money to spend on a setup that I am not even sure if I'm going to like.

So this leaves me with a few of other options...

1) Replace the standard springs (which I believe are Bilsteins), for a new set of Bilsteins. Demon Tweeks appear to list two types of 'standard' springs for this car, one of which being the B3's. Problem here is that I'm unsure which of these springs my car actually has on it, and what different the other would offer. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/standard-springs/car/mercedes-benz/b-class/2009/2-0td-138

2) Replace the springs for a set of Apex, Eibach (or another brand) for between £100-£200: MERCEDES B-Class (Diesel models) (Typ:W245) From Years: 06.05- APEX LOWERING SPRINGS Lowers car by: 30 mm

3) Replace the shocks and springs with a kit like this Bilstein one for around the £500 mark: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ...pension Kits&***id=CLvC_M7Pq9QCFWUz0wod5EYJ1A

Any suggestions/ advice/ general input?

I'm a little worried that if I go any lower than it is now, that I may end up with wheel clearance issues (car is fitted with 18" wheels which i believe are standard on this model) and I'd rather avoid arch rolling.

Surely there are alternatives out there which offer better handling with similar (or even improved!) comfort??

Sorry cant help with a response. Am in the same boat!!

You guys have obviously no speed humps in your area. My W245 scrapes the underside on all speed humps in Bristol and some even hit the underside bodywork if taken too fast, and you want to lower???????:crazy:

You guys have obviously no speed humps in your area. My W245 scrapes the underside on all speed humps in Bristol and some even hit the underside bodywork if taken too fast, and you want to lower???????:crazy:

I was actually looking at "rough road package" retrofit, which would include raising the suspension, so I'm with you on this one.

Even my [factory] 10mm lower springs are getting a bit too tight for our increasingly third world roads...

Oddly, I live in the outskirts of a city with single-track/rural farm roads, railway crossings, far too many pot holes, and a lot of speed bumps. Whilst they're of course a pain in the back side, I've not experienced any scrapes so far - granted these cars have quite a wide wheel span so most speed bumps go right under the car without the wheels touching.
Obviously this *may* change if I dropped the car any lower, which is partly why I was hoping to find out how much lower these factory (sport) springs are over the factory springs on other (non-sport) models. I was kind of hoping these were more than 10mm lower :wallbash:

This all seems a bit hit & miss to be honest but judging by your comments, if the sport springs are only 10mm lower it means that unless I went down the Coilover route I'm going to be looking at dropping the car a further 20mm.

I think from bottom of car to road surface would be OK (may need to be a little more carful with speed bumps), but it's more the arch clearance I'm worried about because I'm reluctant to need to roll the arches.
Or if it scraped on the inside, I'm assuming I'd need spacers (which may also lead to needing the arches rolled).

So obviously I could measure (arches to tyre) but I'm not *really* going to know for sure until the springs are fitted and I've taken it for a drive.

These factory Sport springs (although giving off an unbelievably rough ride) aren't actually all that firm (when pushing down on a corner of the car there is still quite a bit of movement), whereas in the past whenever I've lowered a car it's resulted in there being barely any movement when doing this.

Also in the past when lowering cars I've found that lower doesn't always mean less comfort. Don't get me wrong it has been known to, but not every time.

Anyway, it seems we need a guinea pig and given I'm determined to sort out my cars ride comfort/handling it looks like it's going to be me.

I'm really trying to justify the pricetag on the coilover kit, and were they a brand that I know/have purchased in the past (Bilstein/spax/Eibach etc) I'd perhaps be more willing to turn a blind eye to the price and just go with it...

But in truth I'm thinking more along the lines of just buying this Eibach spring kit and fitting them to the factory/sport shocks.
Then perhaps investing in some Powerflex bump stops to suit.
The only thing puting me off this approach is that these springs may not be a good pairing to the factory sport shocks.
In lowering *kits*, it's my understanding that typically, the dampers are shorter to match that of the lower springs.
Many, many years ago I helped a cousin fit lowering springs to the standard shocks of his Ford Orion (there's a throwback for you!).. the result is that the damper was 'bottoming out' when going over bumps. He ended up having to buy new shocks to suit the lower springs.

So this brings me back to this Bilstein B12 Pro kit which I've now managed to find @ £465.

Looking through all the options on the Bilstein website, this B12 Pro Kit is seemingly the way to go.

Anyone have any further thoughts before they take my money?

On a side note, for anyone thinking of upgrading the suspension but not wanting to lower their car any further...
Bilstein do seem to sell springs which can be fitted to the factory sport shocks:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/standard-springs/car/mercedes-benz/b-class/2009/2-0td-138 (the B3's, I believe).

I've weighed this option up but personally I just feel that the pro-kit will offer so much more (so long as you feel going 20mm lower than factory is not going to impact your daily driving).

Cool. Looking forward to your writeup with before and after pics, please. :thumb:

Thanks for taking it for the team!!
You're welcome :thumb:

Just a note in case anyone else is planning to order these from Demon Tweeks... after receiving my order confirmation I had to give them a call because the product description in my receipt didn't match that of my online order. After around 3hrs on the phone to them they said that the wrong package had been purchased and that to order the correct package for my car it would cost another £100.
Very 'shocked' (see what i did there?) at this because the website didn't allow me to add them to my cart until I'd selected my car, yet they still wouldn't honour the price I'd paid. In the end I just requested that they refund me.

After much shopping around for the next best price I came across the kit on the Venom Motorsport website @ £556 (with FREE UK delivery): Bilstein B12 Pro Suspension Kit for Mercedes B-Class
Bit more expensive than I paid initially, but given everywhere else seem to be around the £629 mark I don't think I've done too badly.

I need to call them this morning to confirm whether or not I need to buy bump stops and dust covers separately, but I'd imagine the bump stops are built in and that i can perhaps just use the standard dust covers (if they do don't come as part of the kit).

I also noticed that Venom sell both an uprated Anti-roll bar and strut braces (upper and lower!) for the W245, but they're seemingly only for the B170.

Bit strange that they're only listed as being for the B170 models is it not?

I've purchased front and rear drop links for my car (which will be fitted when I fit the suspension kit) and I'm now considering trying to source an uprated Anti-roll bar to fit at the same time. Does anyone know how big a job this would be? There doesn't seem to be much info at all online in regards to anything 'DIY' on the W245.

Sorry it's been a while - just thought I'd pop back and update this thread....
I ended up with an 8 week wait for my B12 Pro kit to arrive as it's not a stocked kit and therefore had to be manufactured then shipped from Bilstein Germany.

During that time the car went in to have the clutch and DMF replaced. As you may be aware this is a very big job (engine out/ sub-frame dropped). To cut a very long story short; unfortunately the garage carrying out the work (Formula One Autocentres in peterborough) absolutely cowboy'd it; failing to put the car back together properly (parts missing, steering not bolted up (came undone resulting in loss of steering when turning in my street!), amongst several other things. Fortunately the loss of steering never occurred at speed as someone could have been seriously injured or even killed!
How a 'qualified mechanic' could do such a poor job is beyond me - I dread to think how many more death traps they've put back on the road after apparent repair.

In hindsight the car should of had the clutch and DMF replaced at Mercedes but given their quote was for more than £3k, I just couldn't justify it on a £5-£6k car.

It's now at the dealership having been inspected by Mercedes (and the AA); who both deemed it highly dangerous and unfit for the road. It is estimated to have around £4-5k worth of damage (final amount not yet confirmed).

So... with the B200 off the road for the foreseeable future, and given a hire car was costing us too much, we've instead purchased another car...
AA (quite rare I believe) W169 A200 Turbo (manual) to use for the time being.
In all likeliness we will look to sell the B-Class once the legal battle is over with Formula one and it's been brought back to its former glory by Mercedes as I really like the A-Class - it's a lot more nimble, standard suspension is a lot more forgiving (though I do plan to purchase a B12 Kit for it soon!), and of course more power.

It's just a shame the B12 kit I purchased for the B will not fit the A. Currently it's just a rather large paperweight sitting in my office. I'll list it in the For Sale section of the forum in due course and if there's no interest it'll be hitting eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom