B200 run flats are to angry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bassgu

Car
b200
hiya,

Just brought a B200 on a 2012 plate, sport model. Lovely car, but the car's rdie isn't that bad (for a german) but becomes really harsh ride when its runs over on slightly uneven roads. Potholes are another level, sounds like the wheels got into an argument with the tarmac and decided to headbutt it. Realised I'm running Goodyear Eagles (runflats). What are my options? can I put on Normal tyres? what do about a spare? any advice welcome. Guessing the ride should improve.

Thanks

Yes, you can put normal tyres on and chance it with an aerosol instead of a spare.

There's a huge difference detween the ride quality of different "normal" tyres so Google tyre reviews and put a few hours in researching it.

Time well spent...

I swapped over runflats for proper tyres on a BMW a few years ago, the difference in ride was immediate.
Had no spare so carried a can of goo and a 12v pump.
No issues.

I thought about one of these - SE model. But I cannot overcome the thought of no spare.

It's a B what do you expect :D I have not long had run flats fitted to my B also Goodyear, but NCT5's, best tyres I have had on the car.

The suspension on the B Class is harsh, especially with 17" wheels. Changing to "normal" tyres will not make much if any difference, at 33psi they are still solid :D

I wasn't aware that the B class was an especially firm ride.

My runflats were on a 5 series which are not known for their soft ride, however it was in SE spec. The difference when I put normal tyres on was very noticeable.

I'll look into the normal tyres. want to get a spacer saver tyre rather than the foam and pump. Assuming Merc can recommend a Space saver wheel/tyre.

If you do have 17" wheels, which I think was standard on the sport, you could consider dropping to 16", bit more rubber.

I have B180 Sport with 18", run flats and the ride is awful! but I knew that when I bought it I guess......

anyway, my back wheel is buckled slightly, so off to the dealer to try and get it replaced under warranty - well I can but try!
(no damage or marks to wheel, though it had thrown a wheel weight but when balancing it up I could see the wheel warp).

I had a Sport for an extended test drive which was fitted with run-flats but in the end, opted for the SE which is conventionally shod after reading negative comments on other forums about the run-flat's ride, replacement cost and shorter life expectancy. I think the ride with the factory-fit conventional Michelins on the SE is better, especially on poor road surfaces, but not massively so. Remember also that, AFAIK, the Sport and SE have different spring and dampers, so the difference will be less apparent.

As for the goo instead of a spare, it does concern me a bit, but when I consider that the last puncture I had was 18 yrs/230k miles ago, and that was only a slow puncture. My wife has never had a puncture - ever - in over 30 years of motoring.

tyreleader.co.uk are great for reviews to help you make the right choice.

And good prices too delivered to your door then take somewhere local to be fitted.

Hope this helps.

Ant

I have B180 Sport with 18", run flats and the ride is awful! but I knew that when I bought it I guess......

anyway, my back wheel is buckled slightly, so off to the dealer to try and get it replaced under warranty - well I can but try!
(no damage or marks to wheel, though it had thrown a wheel weight but when balancing it up I could see the wheel warp).

That's uncanny. We've got B180 Sport (mountain Grey?) on a 62 plate.

Really hard ride. Pot holes feel like sink holes. AND it's just had MOT and rear wheel is also buckled.

Spookey or what.

Ant

but when I consider that the last puncture I had was 18 yrs/230k miles ago, and that was only a slow puncture. My wife has never had a puncture - ever - in over 30 years of motoring.

I'm worried for you both after you just said that!!!

Fingers crossed for the next few days.

Ant

That's uncanny. We've got B180 Sport (mountain Grey?) on a 62 plate.

Really hard ride. Pot holes feel like sink holes. AND it's just had MOT and rear wheel is also buckled.

Ihave the same car with same 18" wheels on a sport. Both rear wheels are buckled, have arranged an inspection at the stealers next week to discuss the problem. Both wheels show no sign of damage so can only be pot holes + run flats + hard tyre walls = buckles......

how did you guys get on with warranty replacements?

Ihave the same car with same 18" wheels on a sport. Both rear wheels are buckled, have arranged an inspection at the stealers next week to discuss the problem. Both wheels show no sign of damage so can only be pot holes + run flats + hard tyre walls = buckles......

how did you guys get on with warranty replacements?

Unfortunately no warranty replacement for me. Have to pay the £100 excess on insurance. But I've got P NCD so all is good.

I need a new wheel for sure. Can feel it on the motorway. :crazy:

Ant.

shame, on what grounds did they reject out of interest - I intend to take this as far as possible and make MB pay for the wheels.

Dont forget a refurb is always an option for others - normally about £70-80 for a buckled standard allow and £150 or so for a diamond polished and paint. Maybe cheaper for some not wanting to claim on insurance and go through the hassle of declaring every year PNCB or not.

shame, on what grounds did they reject out of interest - I intend to take this as far as possible and make MB pay for the wheels.

Dont forget a refurb is always an option for others - normally about £70-80 for a buckled standard allow and £150 or so for a diamond polished and paint. Maybe cheaper for some not wanting to claim on insurance and go through the hassle of declaring every year PNCB or not.

I'm not sure how MB would cough up on a buckled wheel caused by a pothole???

I didn't know a refurb can fix a buckled wheel. Thought it was just for kurbing.

Ant

if a wheel shows no signs of damage or kerbing and has a buckle, there is obviously a defect or its not fit for purpose. Hitting a pot hole would in effect cause some damage to the wheel but it is for MB to prove that. Its easier for me to prove the wheel be defective than they prove its negligence.

most decent wheel refurbers repair cracked, fractured and buckled wheels these days. Its the diamond polishing that costs the most - but I object to paying for something that wasnt something I did. IMHO.

You'll have a hard time wining that argument IMHO

Hitting a pothole can deform a wheel without causing any other visible damage. Your recourse is with the council not MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom