B3 Service due - is service plan worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ash77

Car
CLS 220d Shooting Brake
Hi there, have a 4 year old CLS Shooting Brake, 31k miles.

B3 service warning has come up - had last service only a year ago for around £260

Not sure what this involves, but understand it is a major one - quote is an eye watering £1000 but been offered a service plan that covers this service and the next one, for £78p/month for 12 months...

It seems like a no-brainer to go for the plan to cover 2 services, if just this B3 costs £1000 on its own...am I missing something??

Having said that... assuming that you car has been serviced annually so far, then it should also need a Brake Fluid change with every Service B.

I.e., I would expect the car to ask for a Service B5.

Has the brake fluid been changed last year by any chance?

Also.... if you car is automatic, and assuming that the coming service is the 4th service, then it will need to have the ATF changed next year.

So you are looking at Service B plus Air Filter and Fuel Filter change (and possibly Brake Fluid change as well?) now, and a Service A plus ATF change the following year... a Service Care Plan for either 2 or 3 services is an absolute no brainer.

That is, assuming that you want to keep the car serviced by a dealer and preserve the Mobilo and anti-rust warranty - otherwise, a good indie will always be cheaper in in most cases also better.

Thanks, that's very helpful - it's the dealer that is quoting £1000 for this B3 and said it will include oil change, brake fluid, air filter and fuel filter

It is an automatic and I bought it Approved Used end of 2017, so will need to find out whether some services have been skipped if it should be A/B 5 instead of 3...

PS Is Mobilo the breakdown/recovery service, I have that anyway but any particular advantages of the Mercedes one?

PS Is Mobilo the breakdown/recovery service, I have that anyway but any particular advantages of the Mercedes one?

Id personally price up what they are going to do at a decent garage . Id imagine the cost will halve. Ive just serviced my c250 myself inc oil n filter .air filter and fuel filter and brake fluid for less than £100. I cant imagine an atf fluid change costing me £900 next year. But as has been said already its upto the end user what they thinks best and can afford.

yes it is - European wide.

And repairs carried out to get you back on the road (Eg new battery or new ABS sensor) can be less than paying for the same work at your MB dealer.

how much are you paying at the moment and who is it with?

It is also worth considering - if you were looking to buy your (used) car, would you prefer:

- full main dealer history with everything done to schedule (albeit at a price)
- a history by an indie, with possible only work that needs to be done rather than scheduled (eg ATF change, brake fluid change, new plugs, new pollen filter)
- a home mechanic (who may have the receipts to evidence purchase of the parts)

how much are you paying at the moment and who is it with?

just free with my bank account, I think associated with Britannia rescue...

OK, looks like it is worth getting a quote from an independent and then seeing how big the difference is....

You say your car is 4 years old - is your car a 2015? If so, then assuming average annual mileage and annual servicing, this is what your car should have had so far:

2016 - Service A

2017 - Service B, Brake Fluid

2018 - Service A

Going forward, it will need:

2019 - Service B, Brake Fluid, Air Filter, Fuel Filter

2020 - Service A, ATF

2021 - Service B, Brake Fluid

2022 - Service A

2023 - Service B, Brake Fluid, Air Filter, Fuel Filter

2024 - Service A

Etc.

So by the looks of it you are in an ideal position to take out a Service Care Plan for 3 services (2019, 2020, 2021) - they are all big bills.

What engine? £78 P/M seems expensive, my C63 is £46 P/M on a 3 year plan

What engine? £78 P/M seems expensive, my C63 is £46 P/M on a 3 year plan

He was quoted £78 x 12 = £936 for two services, which works-out as £468 per service, and it is about right for Service Care Plan.

He should also be able to pay £39 x 24 = £936 i.e. stretch the payment period over two years instead on one year (this is what I did).

If he does that then he will be paying £468 each year and will be getting one service each year for this amount.

Not a bad deal given that it will cover two big services (B + Brake Fluid + Air filter + Fuel Filter, and A + ATF).

He was quoted £78 x 12 = £936 for two services, which works-out as £468 per service, and it is about right for Service Care Plan.

He should also be able to pay £39 x 24 = £936 i.e. stretch the payment period over two years instead on one year (this is what I did).

If he does that then he will be paying £468 each year and will be getting one service each year for this amount.

Not a bad deal given that it will cover two big services (B + Brake Fluid + Air filter + Fuel Filter, and A + ATF).

Makes more sense then, i was quoted almost £600 for a basic A on my C63, so thought the plan was the way to go!

it's the dealer that is quoting £1000 for this B3 and said it will include oil change, brake fluid, air filter and fuel filter

They are taking the p*ss. That work will take ca 2 - 3 hours max.
I would find an independent the price will be half that amount.

it's the dealer that is quoting £1000 for this B3 and said it will include oil change, brake fluid, air filter and fuel filter

They are taking the p*ss. That work will take ca 2 - 3 hours max.
I would find an independent the price will be half that amount.

Which would be the same price as a main dealer under the service plan....(£468)

This has been really helpful everybody
I've plumped for the 2 services for £78 per month for a year- should cover this big service and an A service next year with ATF....
Thanks!

You say your car is 4 years old - is your car a 2015?

Going forward, it will need:

2019 - Service B, Brake Fluid, Air Filter, Fuel Filter

2020 - Service A, ATF

2021 - Service B, Brake Fluid

So by the looks of it you are in an ideal position to take out a Service Care Plan for 3 services (2019, 2020, 2021) - they are all big bills.
This my exact situation in November. I intend to price up services from an Indie, MB & MB with a service plan.

This my exact situation in November. I intend to price up services from an Indie, MB & MB with a service plan.
It's a no-brainer... it's either an MB Service Plan (B-A or B-A-B), or an Indie.

In this case, a one-off dealer service just does not make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom